Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

How do you budget?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM
  • 104 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you use a computer program, app on your phone or a good old pen and paper?
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM
2 moms liked this
I have used YNAB (You Need a Budget) in the past (computer program and app) and love it. I need to get back to working my budget and sticking to it!
Vertical15
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this
We need to make some adjustments but old fashioned pen and paper :)
hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM
Does it change much each month or stay mostly the same?

Quoting Vertical15: We need to make some adjustments but old fashioned pen and paper :)
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:31 AM
3 moms liked this

free computer program called Money Sunset.  I can enter our regular bills and deposits, it keeps track of them (due dates, amounts) and projected cash flow.  It also lets me set budget amounts, see reports of how I'm doing, keeps track of amortization, and more.  I've used it since 2004 when it was still called Microsoft Money.

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:32 AM
Sounds like an awesome program, and free is always nice!

Quoting michiganmom116:

free computer program called Money Sunset.  I can enter our regular bills and deposits, it keeps track of them (due dates, amounts) and projected cash flow.  It also lets me set budget amounts, see reports of how I'm doing, keeps track of amortization, and more.  I've used it since 2004 when it was still called Microsoft Money.

Vertical15
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Quoting hillmom: Does it change much each month or stay mostly the same?

Quoting Vertical15: We need to make some adjustments but old fashioned pen and paper :)

We try to keep it the same but adjust for those extra expenses that creep up :)
hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:37 AM
Nice! There are always little things (and sometimes big) that can throw things off a bit.

Quoting Vertical15:
Quoting hillmom: Does it change much each month or stay mostly the same?

We try to keep it the same but adjust for those extra expenses that creep up :)
Yellow_Lileigh
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I've used Mint (free) to track what we spend every month and that has been very helpful info to use in creating a budget. Obviously we know our income, what we pay in rent, etc. But for non-fixed expenses it's great to have an app automatically tally what we spend every month on gas, restaurants, groceries, etc. Sometimes there are purchases the app doesn't recognize so I'll manually enter "tickets to baseball game" or "birthday gift for friend" or whatever. But it's very helpful in keeping our budget on track and there's a pie chart updated daily to show where you're money goes.
Aunt_Jenny
by on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this
That is where Microsoft Money went. :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

hillmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 6:44 AM
It definitely seems to help control spending urges when you can see where your money is going. Is Mint on the computer or and app?

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: I've used Mint (free) to track what we spend every month and that has been very helpful info to use in creating a budget. Obviously we know our income, what we pay in rent, etc. But for non-fixed expenses it's great to have an app automatically tally what we spend every month on gas, restaurants, groceries, etc. Sometimes there are purchases the app doesn't recognize so I'll manually enter "tickets to baseball game" or "birthday gift for friend" or whatever. But it's very helpful in keeping our budget on track and there's a pie chart updated daily to show where you're money goes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN