Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Very cheap DH...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:40 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi there. I want to do financial planning with my DH but he is so extraordinarily cheep that he makes it miserable to talk about money. We both have decent jobs, but he only gets our kids things from the dollar store.

Any one else have this issue? How do you cope? Separating our bank accounts has helped, but now that we are ready for serious financial planning that will need to stop, or take a different shape.

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Why is he so cheap?  Was he raised that way?  Is he fearful of never having enough money?  Is it just habit?  Does he not place a high value on material things?  I think your financial planning should start with a discussion of how you both view money and money habits.  Just a discussion, no planning yet.

wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:23 AM

IDK sorry.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM

mint.com is a great tool

EthansMomma2010
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

maybe show him ways in which dollar store doesn't always save you money? such as toys breaking, less volume/$, etc? help him to see how frugal and cheap are different, 

MrsBx
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Put 10% of whatever money comes into the household, from any source(s) and put that into a fund to be used for gifts, entertainment, clothing, kids electronics, etc. Make a list and decide what the money can be used for, like a kid's fund. I know that quite a bit of money slips through the fingers of generous parents who continually purchase electronic games, the newest gadgetry, clothing and shoes kids have outgrown, happy meals, etc. Allow for that by setting aside a percentage of monthly funds into a separated account from household bill expenses,car payments, rent, mortgages, etc. I think a spreadsheet is helpful for this plan and the formatting comes free with most computer OS. Fortunately, he don't have housing costs (Property taxes, yep) or car payments but one thing I noticed we were spending too much money on, was eating out at restaurants. The costs were more than I wanted to shell out so we eat most meals at home, other than a few fast food stops during the month. Now are biggest expense is the elctric bill. We have had a hotter-than-Hades summer this year and the fans are on 24/7. It's miserable without them.

letstalk747
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM

tough one , good luck

nayeli.c
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Your poor kids! No, I don't have that issue... I would tell him that dollar store toys aren't always safe. If its a painted item it may contain lead.. and the other items are usually poorly made/cheap material that if your kid is younger they could choke on!

Honestly I think sitting down looking at joint income and writing a budget out on paper might help him. It will show him how much EXTRA you have a month, then you put X amount into savings every month and having a large savings will re assure him if he is anything like me and my husband. 

princess_1983
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM

My husband is cheap except when he wants something. He wants me to buy generic food, shop for clothes at thrift stores, get stuff at garage sales etc. I never do any of those thngs. But he wants a new MacBook, new phone, new car etc.

XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I like this idea.

Quoting EthansMomma2010:

maybe show him ways in which dollar store doesn't always save you money? such as toys breaking, less volume/$, etc? help him to see how frugal and cheap are different, 

If you have separate bank accounts already, maybe decide on a percentage from each of you that goes into a shared account.  Then use this account for things that you have both agreed upon for your budget like utilities, house payment, groceries, etc.  If you have a set amount that is allowed for things like groceries etc. each month that also helps.  Good luck!  

BradleysMom2014
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Same here, he acts like me getting a 13 dollar hair cut is going to cause us to be late on the light bill. BUT guess who just came home with THEIR hair cut, and new tools -.-

he's so stingy when it comes to some things, but on others it's like really...

Quoting princess_1983:

My husband is cheap except when he wants something. He wants me to buy generic food, shop for clothes at thrift stores, get stuff at garage sales etc. I never do any of those thngs. But he wants a new MacBook, new phone, new car etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)