Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

Train your child....

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM
  • 13 Replies
2 moms liked this

...to be a mechanic, computer tech, veterinarian, nurse/doctor, banker, lawyer, etc. and save some money  LOLOL.  Let me explain:

Our old minivan has an issue with the transmission.  This issue developed only in the past couple of weeks and is very sporadic, but it is getting worse.  Thankfully one of my sons has a code reader and is pretty skilled in fixing cars among his many other talents.  He took down the codes -- let this be a lesson...the car had no "check engine light" on but if there is a problem the computer will still store any codes -- diagnosed the problem as being a $23 sensor issue, not a transmission issue.  I breathed a sigh of relief! 

I didn't train him, he trained himself, but am very grateful that he has that ability and is so very helpful.

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:22 AM

That is great. :) My dad is retired from being a mechanic. He always works on our cars.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:40 AM

You can borrow code readers from most auto parts stores and look the codes up on the Internet.  We had a check engine light a couple years back and I wanted an idea of what was wrong.  Turned out to be an O2 sensor.  

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:47 AM

That's great. It's wonderful when kids grow up and have the knowledge to  help you with different things. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM
so nice my dh is not handy at all! My dad is but he lives states away
jessicasmom1
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM

NICE save of money there ... tell your son us ladies are proud of him 

Firenygirl180
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I told df we need to start teaching Ds a skill. Ds just turned three, buy that doesn't mean we can't talk him through basic steps of things. Df thinks he's too young.
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:00 PM
He did great!! Tell him never to be ashamed of knowing these skills. My dad taught us kids several trades, and my oldest is attending college courses to become a welder. Some lady during registration for his Senior year of high school asked what he was going to do as an adult. My son barely got the word welder out when she cut him off and said in a distasteful tone, oh only a trade. I wanted to slap her. He wants to eventually be an underwater welder. Even if he is just a welder, it is what he enjoys and they do make good money. He is halfway done with his welding certification and will graduate both high school and tech school in the spring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

NOTHING to be ashamed of!  My brother is a welder, has certifications for pressure plates (or something like that) and underwater welding...a trade he learned in the Navy.  He easily clears 6 figures a year!

Quoting DawnPratt23: He did great!! Tell him never to be ashamed of knowing these skills. My dad taught us kids several trades, and my oldest is attending college courses to become a welder. Some lady during registration for his Senior year of high school asked what he was going to do as an adult. My son barely got the word welder out when she cut him off and said in a distasteful tone, oh only a trade. I wanted to slap her. He wants to eventually be an underwater welder. Even if he is just a welder, it is what he enjoys and they do make good money. He is halfway done with his welding certification and will graduate both high school and tech school in the spring.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:23 PM
I agree, he's getting some grief from classmates in high school over it. He's enjoyed the tech college. He said high schoolers are immature and annoying.

Quoting michiganmom116:

NOTHING to be ashamed of!  My brother is a welder, has certifications for pressure plates (or something like that) and underwater welding...a trade he learned in the Navy.  He easily clears 6 figures a year!

Quoting DawnPratt23: He did great!! Tell him never to be ashamed of knowing these skills. My dad taught us kids several trades, and my oldest is attending college courses to become a welder. Some lady during registration for his Senior year of high school asked what he was going to do as an adult. My son barely got the word welder out when she cut him off and said in a distasteful tone, oh only a trade. I wanted to slap her. He wants to eventually be an underwater welder. Even if he is just a welder, it is what he enjoys and they do make good money. He is halfway done with his welding certification and will graduate both high school and tech school in the spring.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniea90
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I am a firm believer that any skill or trade you pick up saves you money. I am constantly learning new things. IF I can learn how to do it that means I dont have to pay someone else to it and that is a great thing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)