Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

No rice or beans

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this
So any article you ready about budgeting food always has a strong focus on those two items. Problem is, we don't eat either one. My dh will occasionally but neither my kids or I do ever.

So what's a girl on a budget supposed to do? I buy almost completely store brands, shop at aldis and still spend close to $1k a month at the grocery. And other than the baby, most of my kids eat almost as much as an adult.

Help!
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Chick peas, couscous, orzo, whole-grain or veggie based pastas, potatoes with skin on...

Better approach: What DO you normally eat?

amy-momof5
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Yeah, we don't eat any of that either.

We are very much a meat and potatoes family. There has to be a meat, a starch and a second side. My kids don't really eat bread either except for pb&j.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM

holy moly!  I feed a household of 9 on a budget of $550 a month...no more than that!  We are grain-free (no rice, no pasta, no cereal, no bread, etc.), legume-free, and dairy-free, too.

Do you plan your meals?  Do you eat ANY veggies besides potatoes?  How many kids?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:07 PM

What does the family normally eat for breakfast?

What do they usually eat for lunches?

Would something like lasagna be acceptable?

Do you cook from scratch?

lizfnf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:11 PM

It's definitely time to try out different ways to "hide" the foods that you won't eat.  I make chicken and broccoli casserole that has rice in it and you seriously wouldn't know it was there.  My husband isn't the biggest rice fan either and he didn't realize it was in there until our daughter spilled the beans.  Also fried rice is so delicious!  throw in a chopped up chicken breast and you have a filling and tasty meal. 

nayeli.c
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Wow! I need some recipes lady! Its just me and my husband... we have been TTC for two years with miscarriages so I wound up on here... but we spend $325/mo on groceries (that includes cleaners, tp, and hygiene)!

Quoting michiganmom116:

holy moly!  I feed a household of 9 on a budget of $550 a month...no more than that!  We are grain-free (no rice, no pasta, no cereal, no bread, etc.), legume-free, and dairy-free, too.

Do you plan your meals?  Do you eat ANY veggies besides potatoes?  How many kids?

nayeli.c
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Potatoes are also cheap.... Do you shop sales? How much salad do ya'll eat. I can pick that up for $1.29 on clearance... Do you garden. You never said your family size... but gardens can save you money!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM

PLENTY of recipes, tips, and meal plans...just check out my Home Kitchen group here on CM.

Quoting nayeli.c:

Wow! I need some recipes lady! Its just me and my husband... we have been TTC for two years with miscarriages so I wound up on here... but we spend $325/mo on groceries (that includes cleaners, tp, and hygiene)!

Quoting michiganmom116:

caseyloo
by Casey on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Wow.  We are a family of 4 and I feed us for less than $200 a month.  Definitely meal plan and shop sales.  You can find tons of recipes online to help you out.  There are so many things that are good to eat and cheap if you are willing to try and to cook from scratch.  We cut down our meat intake.  It took a while for my dh and kids to get used to it, but now it's great.  It saves on my budget and it has helped us try new things.  It takes a while to get used to different tastes and textures.  But keep trying new things.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 31, 2014 at 8:30 PM
2 moms liked this

My dad was a meat & potatoes guy, and my mom made $150 stretch for a month's supply of groceries for 4 people....35 to 40 years ago  LOL

Here are some things she did:

browned burger, made gravy with it, served over mashed potatoes with a veggie.  did the same with leftover chicken.

shepherd's pie...once a week

pizza on Saturday nights...homemade crust, homemade sauce.

beef roast or roast chicken once a week with potatoes & veggies.  Leftovers became a stew with dumplings later in the week.

homemade fried chicken with potatoes & gravy, veggie

baked ham with homemade scalloped potatoes, veggies

biscuits or muffins or jello salad were added to the table, all homemade

breakfasts were oatmeal, homemade pancakes, homemade waffles, or eggs

lunches were made up of leftovers or sometimes sandwiches (tuna salad, egg salad, pb & J...never deli meat or cheese.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN