Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

has anyone gone back?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

has anyone on here gone from super healthy, organic eating, to something less than that? i'm having trouble figuring out what to cut. i don't want to go back to hamburger helper and pop tarts, but i want to cut back on my food expenses and in general get our budget under control better. the milk will be one cut. no more almond milk for us. ds will get soy if we think he can tolerate it, and we will cook with powdered milk. i'm also not buying gluten free bread anymore. i'm going to try making a simple homemade bread recipe or go back to buying cheaper bread. buy less organic fruits and veggies. what else can i cut? i have to buy organic strawberries as ds is allergic to the pesticides, but everything else he seems fine with.

by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Im having trouble doing the opposite.Eating healthier

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM

No.  I cut in other ways, although "organic" has never been something I've gone after. Chemical-free is what I look for.

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I can'tcut anything else. II've already cut it all. No cable, no smartphone, no home phone. Water conservation, etc. Plus I'm a terrible gardener and dh can't hunt this year cuz he's too busy. :(

Quoting michiganmom116:

No.  I cut in other ways, although "organic" has never been something I've gone after. Chemical-free is what I look for.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I did try "going back" for a couple of months.  I felt TERRIBLE, and my health suffered.  So, it's not really an option if I want to stay healthy and feel good.

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM
Yah I can't say that's an issue for me. Lately I've felt like crap even when I eat super healthy and I think its cuz I've got myself in a tizzy over what to eat and what's bad and how much it all costs!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I did try "going back" for a couple of months.  I felt TERRIBLE, and my health suffered.  So, it's not really an option if I want to stay healthy and feel good.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:19 AM

One big thing that I found helped was to not buy substitute food products.  I think outside the box of typical meals.  We don't drink milk, period, and don't eat cereal.  We don't eat sandwiches.  I use coconut milk for the occasional smoothie and for baking, but I buy it in bulk and make it last.  We eat a lot of eggs, lean meats, veggies, few fruits, and nuts when i can get a deal on them. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010: I can'tcut anything else. II've already cut it all. No cable, no smartphone, no home phone. Water conservation, etc. Plus I'm a terrible gardener and dh can't hunt this year cuz he's too busy. :(
Quoting michiganmom116:

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

did i mention i'm a terrible cook too? lol. we don't eat cereals, but sandwhiches i can't seem to break away from. i do it and then i miss them too much! plus my ds is soooooo picky do to food aversions that i can't really change what he eats much. i do need to get back to not buying substitutes. i'd rather eat a little real milk or grains now and then, then pay for substitutes. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

One big thing that I found helped was to not buy substitute food products.  I think outside the box of typical meals.  We don't drink milk, period, and don't eat cereal.  We don't eat sandwiches.  I use coconut milk for the occasional smoothie and for baking, but I buy it in bulk and make it last.  We eat a lot of eggs, lean meats, veggies, few fruits, and nuts when i can get a deal on them. 

Quoting EthansMomma2010: I can'tcut anything else. II've already cut it all. No cable, no smartphone, no home phone. Water conservation, etc. Plus I'm a terrible gardener and dh can't hunt this year cuz he's too busy. :(
Quoting michiganmom116:

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not a huge fan of "organic".  I think in a lot of cases it's over-hyped.  I just try to buy local produce in season...or use my own garden stuff.  I have a super health conscious (crazy) friend who swears by organic...but then buys powdered donuts.  Um.  Hmmmm.

I don't buy (try to achieve zero) boxed or prepared crap.  It's loaded with junk and salt.

stay simple.  Meat, veggie and a salad.  Then as you get more adventurous...branch out.  No one was born a great cook.

i eat dairy and grains.  I personally don't have an issue with them, although If I eat enough bread my ass gets big.  Lol.

EthansMomma2010
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Thanks. I try to do crockpot meals to keep the meat and veggie aspect easier. This round I'm not buying organic, just whatever's on sale. Then I usually do rice and a salad with it. I have a small dairy issue but nothing major and no reaction to grains. I just need to forgive myself more. I'm only 24. I don't have to be perfect yet lol

Quoting chicken13:

I'm not a huge fan of "organic".  I think in a lot of cases it's over-hyped.  I just try to buy local produce in season...or use my own garden stuff.  I have a super health conscious (crazy) friend who swears by organic...but then buys powdered donuts.  Um.  Hmmmm.

I don't buy (try to achieve zero) boxed or prepared crap.  It's loaded with junk and salt.

stay simple.  Meat, veggie and a salad.  Then as you get more adventurous...branch out.  No one was born a great cook.

i eat dairy and grains.  I personally don't have an issue with them, although If I eat enough bread my ass gets big.  Lol.

Kijonaia
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I recommend getting what organic stuff you can from local farmers on craigslist or at a farmer's market. Prices will be better there, plus it helps the local economy. I would cut out organic eggs; just free-range tends to be okay. Those are actually really easy to find totally organic and safe on craigslist, too, for about $1-2/dozen(so not much different than store-brought plain eggs, whereas organic ones at the store can run $4-5/dozen). You can definitely make bread at home, no problem, and it's surprisingly easy to make jelly, too, especially apple jelly. You only need apples(or applesauce) and honey or sugar. I can find the instructions for you, if you'd be interested in that.

You can also cut your budget in other places to avoid having to eat less healthy foods, like making your own laundry detergent. SUPER easy, and it makes quite a bit of detergent for a lot less than you'd be buying it for. You can make your own floor cleaner, window cleaner, etc. Every little bit helps, right? :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN