Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Frugalistas Frugalistas

A cheap and easy dinner?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:51 AM
  • 57 Replies

We love breakfast for dinner! I usually have everything on hand, it comes together quickly and really doesn't cost much money.

Our usual is pancakes, eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns...my kids favorite!

What's the cheapest and easiest dinner your family enjoys?

by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AHmom103
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 6:00 AM

This is pretty much just a summer thing, but tomato sandwiches are one of our favorites. We only do that in the summer, when our tomatoes ripen, so the whole meal costs pennies, unless we add some potato chips as a side.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 3, 2014 at 6:16 AM
2 moms liked this

crockpot meals!  Ours is crockpot spicy roast chicken, crockpot baked sweet potatoes, and steamed broccoli.  Takes minutes to prepare, very little effort to cook, and practically free food from our home-raised chickens and garden.

TheJerseyGirl
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 6:19 AM

I LOVE tomato sandwiches! Nothing more than with a little mayo, salt and pepper!eating

Quoting AHmom103:

This is pretty much just a summer thing, but tomato sandwiches are one of our favorites. We only do that in the summer, when our tomatoes ripen, so the whole meal costs pennies, unless we add some potato chips as a side.

AHmom103
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Have you tried them with bacon flavored mayo? OMG! Simple, but I could eat that every day, easily.

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

I LOVE tomato sandwiches! Nothing more than with a little mayo, salt and pepper!eating

Quoting AHmom103:

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Baked ziti.  Added bonus...I can make it in advance. 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Dh loves tomato sandwiches....

Quoting AHmom103:

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Sep. 3, 2014 at 8:51 AM
3 moms liked this

Chicken soup made in the crockpot. I take skinless chicken thighs, trim the fat and put them in the crockpot with a bay leaf and a dash of garlic and set them to cook for about 2 hours. Once they are cooked I shred the chicken making sure to keep the stock it cooked in. Then I add in chopped up potatoes, carrots and celery and the shredded chicken. I let them all cook together for another couple hours and there you have easy chicken soup. It is the cheapest meal I make since I buy the family pack of chicken thighs and break down for 4 similiar meals. A 5 lb bag of potatoes and a family size back of carrots are very inexpensive and are used for multiple meals as well.

mamavalor
by New Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:12 AM

A green leafy salad, half of a cantaloupe and a piece of bread.

pasta salad with chicken

Spaghetti and meatballs

soup

Dzyre1115
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Tonight I am making chicken sauteed with garlic, roasted red peppers, and black olives, tossed with spaghetti. Less than ten dollars feeds a family of six.
momofsixangels
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Breakfast for dinner.mac n cheese and hot dogs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)