Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Small homes

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM
  • 84 Replies
We live in a relatively small house. Probably 1300 sq feet. Two bedrooms that are pretty small and one small bathroom. Everyone tells me we will need to sell our home soon because we plan on having another child soon (we have one 18 month old son). But I really don't want to move! I love my home! We live in a nice quiet neighborhood. We have amazing neighbors. Close to my mom.it seriously is so easy to keep my house clean. Since I don't like clutter we don't have much. Just because we want to expand our family doesn't mean we should have to go bigger right??
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM

You sure don't have to go bigger.  My DS and DIL live with their two daughters in a 2 bedroom /1 bath home that can't be bigger than 1000 sq ft.

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:54 AM
I think you'll be fine :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RonaH
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:03 AM

No it doesn't mean that. I really love my small place everyone always thinks bigger is better but that is not always true. It's about what makes you happy. Don't fall into the trap that is why a lot of people got in trouble with that housing boom.

chillemi78
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Not anytime soon, but if your children are opposite genders, some states have laws about them sharing a bedroom past a certain age. It may not even be an issue for you, but it is something to consider. And that doesn't mean you have to move, you could convert an attic, move someone to the basement, build a small addition, etc.
I personally think in general, our society is obsessed with a bigger means better mentality and it would do a lot of us some good to back away from that. I have been watching that Tiny House Nation show a lot lately and while my family never could go that small, I really admire the drive to clear out clutter and live minimally.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Bigger isn't always better.  Don't move cause someone else thinks you should.....

lyrick24
by Melissa on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM
You can makebit work just fine.
MommaTurbo
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM

We have 4 kids and live in a 3b/1ba house. It works just fine. I actually prefer it over the huge house we used to live in. 

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM

i dont think you need to move, we live in a 1000 sq ft home, 2 bedrooms with also a finished attic for a 3rd, 1 bathroom, not even a dining area  or room in the kitchen for us to all eat and we make it work, we have downsized all our belongings and we can keep the house cleaner.  FYI  we have 3 kids ages 18, 13 and 11 AND 2 dogs. 

Mommy4-27-08
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM
We have a 1400sq ft home and we have two kids and we have no issues. The bedrooms are pretty small so they just hold the beds and dressers (our master is bigger so it has a reading area for me) and the toys are all kept in the playroom except a few for their rooms. We go through the house every 3 months and declutter. This really helps us to decide what is important and what is not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixiemg1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM

You won't have to move anytime soon.  We just recently purchased a new house because we were living in a home similiar to yours. 1300 sq. ft, 2 bedrooms & 1 bath.  We have 8 year old boy/girl twins and while they didn't mind that they shared a room they were getting to point where they wanted their own rooms.  I also didn't like that we had no basement for extra storage.  We now live in a 1700 sq. ft 2 story house with a basement. I would never go bigger than this since I think this is the perfect size for my family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)