Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ask the Expert: How to Get the Most for Your Money - *Updated with Winner*

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM
  • 79 Replies

Thank you all for your wonderful questions! Click here to see Holly's answers!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's always a good time to talk about stretching a dollar.  But with the holidays approaching, making your money last longer might be even more of a priority.

Our expert is here to help!

Holly Johnson is a wife, mother of two, and frugal lifestyle enthusiast who is obsessed with getting the most out of her money, her work, and her life. She is the co-founder of Club Thrifty and a staff writer at Get Rich Slowly, Frugal Travel Guy, U.S. News and World Report Money, and many other online and print publications. Holly has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Kiplinger Personal Finance, Fox Business, and Daily Finance.

The sweeps period has ended.  Congratulations Bob192! Ask Holly your questions today and you'll be automatically entered to win a coupon organizer plus $50 worth of Angel Soft Bath Tissue for your family! One lucky mom will win.

Check back soon for Holly's answers.

Thanks for joining us, Holly!

Giveaway rules:

• The Ask the Expert giveaway starts 11/4/14 at 2 pm (ET) and ends 11/11/14 at 2 pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a coupon organizer and 5 packs of 12 double rolls of Angel Soft bath tissue.
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 11/30/14.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slw123
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Is there a nice way to ease out of giving gifts to all of my husbands employees?  I feel awful even saying it, but we started this tradition 10 years ago and it's really becoming a burden.  He has 50 employees.  We have always given them a token thank you gift to let them know that we appreciate them at the holidays. His regular employees get something that I usually hand make for them.  His managers get gift cards for restaurants.   Really that's the big burden.  Plus my husband pays for a special meal at work on Christmas Eve.  None of this is tax deductible because of the nature of his business, he cannot claim things he does like this on our taxes.  It all comes from our pocket.  As well, because of the nature of the business, he has employees that make double the income as we do because of their very specialized degrees.  

I'm just looking for a way to ease out of the gift giving without seeming like we are being grinch-y.  Hopefully I'm not coming across as grinch-y because I feel like I am.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:53 PM

I've been couponing for four years, I do have a large amount of coupons I take with me when I am shopping, I sometimes will see items in the clearance section and not realize I had the coupon for it.  Do you use an app or excel spreadsheet to track your coupons?

Kmakksmom
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM
What kind of frugal advice do you have for a family of 7, will be 8 in March? (besides use coupons and buy in bulk...we already do both.)

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer questions!
jessicasmom1
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM

how to be frugal when I will be losing half of my income next year

janessa27
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM

What is the best advice you have for saving at the grocery stores or meal planning?

johnny4ever
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:48 AM

I am a avid couponer,on a strict budget,I meal plan plus follow blogs.Are there are good websites so I can get even more weekly savings?

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:51 AM

In your experience what is the most neglected way to save money?

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM

What are some of the most unusual ways you've encountered to save money? (That are not gross, unethical or illegal).

Mygirl30248
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Everyone speaks about couponing, etc. but where I live we simply don't have that option my question is how do I save money on food? 

I live in Maine, it's rural with limited options. We do not have any stores that do any double up on coupons etc. The Sunday paper is $2something & I mostly don't even get enough coupons out of it to pay back for the money spent on the newspaper. You can't find coupons unless online, I don't have a computer (except at work) & don't have a printer. I've looked at apps for my phone non of which were useful to me such as check out 51 but the reciepts wouldn't scan (possibly I'm not smart?) 

We have Walmart, Hannaford, Shaws, Save A Lot, Rite Aid, Walgreens but all are 30 minute drives to get to them, I do not work near any such stores so I have to spend gas money to get to every one of them. We have a Trader Joes that is 2 hours away then Market Basket is in the next state New Hampshire 3 hours away. 

We have a Sam's club but I've gotten a membership before, again didn't even pay off the membership in the savings I found which would be 2 cents per 4 boxes of capri suns. We eat cheap meals, skip meat mostly all the time, etc. But still there seems to be no way for us to save on food. 

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 7:34 AM
What are the easiest ways to save when grocery shopping?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)