Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cheaper alternative to milk?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM
  • 36 Replies

Is there a cheaper alternative to milk?

In my family, we go through a lot of milk. 3 kids under the age of 12 drinking it, me using it to cook with, having it with cereal, etc etc.....

It's $3.19 a gallon now! We can go through 4 gallons a week and that's being conservative. Is there anything cheaper that still tastes ok?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

I'm a lucky momma :)  I've got some fantastic kids! 

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM
I have been getting free milk with purchase of cereal(Smiths). Hubby eats cheerios so we get the milk and he gets the cereal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I cut back on drinking too much milk.. We would drink all the time and DH will make multiple cups of chocolate milk a day.. Water is better for you anyways. And watch how much goes in cereal. A lot can get wasted that way If you use a lot for baking or cooking then check the price of dry milk. It may be cheaper to make a gallon of dry milk just for cooking purposes. I don't like to drink it, but I don't notice any difference when I use it to cook.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM

We cut out drinking milk.  There are so many other sources of calcium in our diet that drinking milk is almost a non-necessity, even for growing kids.  We drink water, tea, coffee, and veggie juice...not milk.

I agree to measure out the milk for cereals.  Find recipes that don't use as much milk, or none at all.  There are always alternatives.

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM

$3.19?  Ours is $3.99 at best!  Any milk over $3 is crazy to me though! We limit it much more now... and we drink water with meals etc.  We also limit cereal .... boys will eat it as a dry snack now and then but cutting the cereal with milk out helped our budget.  I wish I had a suggestion that would be cheaper... will be watching this post.

DawnPratt23
by Dawn on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Another thing is to look for local ads, Wednesday is milk discount day here, anywhere from 1.99 to 2.29. We dont use as much as when the kids were younger, but arent cutting it out. I do use canned milk for some recipes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybratsmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I switched my house to almond milk.
kfonseca
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM
I've read on blogs that some women buy whole milk and mix a gallon of water with it to essentially make 2 gallons of skim milk.
Alexsi1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:55 PM
I've read that as well. I've heard of people using powdered.

Quoting kfonseca: I've read on blogs that some women buy whole milk and mix a gallon of water with it to essentially make 2 gallons of skim milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chicken13
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Works great for cereal!  We do it all the time.

Quoting kfonseca: I've read on blogs that some women buy whole milk and mix a gallon of water with it to essentially make 2 gallons of skim milk.

momofnatalie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 2:02 PM

We have cut down on our milk usage as well.  DD #2 drinks coconut milk because of dairy allergies so I use coupons and sales to stock up.  It's ultra pastuerized so it last for 6 weeks if unopened.  She drinks it in the morning and at night.  My oldest prefers cow's milk and I will look for sales if I buy 4 items and get a gallon for free.  If not, I keep an eye out for sales .  She doesn't drink as much now since she is 4, she prefers yogurt or cheese. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)