Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does this make you want to steer clear of dollar stores now?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

A new report tested 164 dollar store products (toys, jewelry, school supplies, and other household items) and found over 81% of them contained at least one hazardous chemical above levels of concern. We want to know how this news will impact CafeMom members. Does this make you want to steer clear of dollar stores now? Why or why not? Please also include your first name, last initial, city/state - so we can attribute your quote in our coverage of the news. Thanks in advance!

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM
6 moms liked this

Does the report test similar products in other stores? Until that information is available, this report is not useful. 

I choose not to provide my name or city. I live in New Hampshire.

Brehi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in total agreement with this.

Quoting Terpsichore:

Does the report test similar products in other stores? Until that information is available, this report is not useful. 

shellyplatz
by Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree with the other ladies.

Everything is bad for you these days. My guess is regular store items are probably just as bad since almost everything comes from China.

I live in Walkerton, Indiana Shelly P.

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree.

Quoting Terpsichore:

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Feb. 7, 2015 at 1:11 AM

I don't shop in dollar stores because the quality is generally bad but I agree with Terpischore, until there data comparing the quality of similar products in other stores, how useful is this? 

bellaamore
by on Feb. 7, 2015 at 1:14 AM
I don't buy things from dollar stores that chemicals in it would matter. I buy, say,a basket to store art supplies, stickers, dental floss, educational posters. Lol.

So, no.there's likely nothing you could say that'll change that. In fact, tomorrow, ill be buying Valentine supplies at the dollar tree for the kids.
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2015 at 6:08 AM

I love my 99 cents only store, there are certain items I buy all the time, like liquid detergent, salsa, potatoes, pepperoni,celery, toothpaste, dental floss, then there are items that are nearing expiration that are great buys, I got some delicious Atkins frozen dinners recently, cracker barrel cheese.

oddfox
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I purchase the same products I would in regular grocery stores so no it wouldn't make a difference. Especially as they now take coupons. Olivia F. Middletown PA

mamahufferd
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2015 at 2:01 PM
I love dollar stores. No it doesn't matter to me. Amy H. Dodge City KS
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)