Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sell it or donate it?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:40 PM
  • 19 Replies
Okay so this is my current situation:

I received a lot of baby gifts from my baby shower, The only things that I bought new were my car seat my expensive $50 bathtub that I just needed to have and my pack and play. Everything else was through my baby shower I had a lot of family and friends and coworkers give me everything else that I needed. I was very blessed with this baby. My baby is three months old and she's already outgrowing some of her clothes.So I wanted to know should I donate them or should I sell them? Is it wrong to get money back from something I didn't buy?
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM

It's not wrong, particularly if you need the money. Sell it used.

anotherandree
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
It's certainly not wrong! I buy most of my clothes through Once Upon A Child. I think it's really rude if you were given thing, not really as gifts but a friend just giving you things and you sell it without asking if they want it back. A gift is obviously your to do what you want to with it. I gave my neighbor who was down on her luck ALL my baby clothes, high chair, bath tub, bouncer, exersaucer, pack n play, and other odds and ends. Not all at once but as my youngest outgrew them. The next spring the town holds a giant mom-to-mom sale and she sold EVERYTHING. She was bragging FB about how much money she made. I was highly annoyed but figured it was my fault for not being specific that I wanted it back but wouldn't that be common courtesy?
lizard3731
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Nope.  They were gifts and you can do what you want with them.  Sell them if you want.

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The bragging part is a nuisance. Unless it was specified that you wanted the items returned when she was done, I am not surprised that the recipient felt it was her right to remove the items from her life as she saw fit. 

OP: It is acceptible to sell gifts that you and the baby have outgrown the use for. 

Quoting anotherandree: It's certainly not wrong! I buy most of my clothes through Once Upon A Child. I think it's really rude if you were given thing, not really as gifts but a friend just giving you things and you sell it without asking if they want it back. A gift is obviously your to do what you want to with it. I gave my neighbor who was down on her luck ALL my baby clothes, high chair, bath tub, bouncer, exersaucer, pack n play, and other odds and ends. Not all at once but as my youngest outgrew them. The next spring the town holds a giant mom-to-mom sale and she sold EVERYTHING. She was bragging FB about how much money she made. I was highly annoyed but figured it was my fault for not being specific that I wanted it back but wouldn't that be common courtesy?

lyrick24
by Melissa on Feb. 19, 2015 at 3:45 PM
I would donate them.
blapier
by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 4:00 PM
I would sell some to buy new ones and I gave some away to family or friends that needed them. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, they were gifts.
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Feb. 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM
I would either sell it or keep it and regift it.
cheekie253
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 8:35 PM
There's nothing wrong with selling them. Now some of my things I had given to me by a friend and I'll definitely ask her before I part with them, especially since I know they possibly may be having more babies. But that's just the "given" things.
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 9:08 PM
Sell!

We have FB groups in our area dedicated just to baby items. I sell DD's clothes as lots. The last one I sold was $40. It was 12 month winter. It was a ton of nice clothes, but so much easier than having a yard sale!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rosesink
by Member on Feb. 19, 2015 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If you need the money sell it if you don't need the money then donate it

Quoting Jsanchez125: Okay so this is my current situation: I received a lot of baby gifts from my baby shower, The only things that I bought new were my car seat my expensive $50 bathtub that I just needed to have and my pack and play. Everything else was through my baby shower I had a lot of family and friends and coworkers give me everything else that I needed. I was very blessed with this baby. My baby is three months old and she's already outgrowing some of her clothes.So I wanted to know should I donate them or should I sell them? Is it wrong to get money back from something I didn't buy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)