Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Buying a kitchen

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:59 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi, I'm hopefully gonna be buying my first home soon but the place we want needs a lot of work. The kitchen needs completely replacing, don't want to spend a fortune as we already have enough to pay for. Does anyone know if you can buy 2nd hand kitchens, also is it really important to get a professional fitter? my husbands pretty handy but don't know if fitting a kitchen might be a bit too much for him
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

You can easily find 2nd hand kitchen cabinets and appliances on craigslist, freecycle, garage sales, or at a Habitat for Humanity Restore.

Fitting a kitchen:  Well, that shouldn't be too difficult if your secondhand cabinets don't need to go wall to wall.  If he's unsure, look up DIY videos/tutorials.  I like Ask The Builder videos and website.

Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 8:56 AM
Brilliant see I wasn't sure if people would sell old cabinets I know a good place for reconditioned appliances. It seems to to be most of the cost is in the fitting but it's not like we're after anything fancy, it's not a big kitchen we just want something that'll do the job without getting into more debt thanks x
AiW
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this
Habitat has stores that sell second hand. You should be able to find cabinets and other items via ads online or in the paper. Depending on price, you can also see if any appliance stores have discounted floor models. As for cabinets, you may be able to give them a facelift depending on their condition (refacing doors, repainting, new handles).
babyspots17
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 10:15 AM

You can find second hand cabinets sometimes online (craigslist, freecycle type sites) sometimes or if you have a Habitat for Humanity store nearby they sometimes have good deals on used cabinets.  You should also look around for unfinished cabinets they are often much cheaper then buying finished ones and you can finish them with the look you want.  How old is the house are any of the cabinets salvageable that you may be able to refinish or get new fronts?  Keep your eyes out for Auctions too sometimes auction house will have building supply auctions with discounts on flooring, cabinets, and other building materials just make sure you do your research so you know if you are getting a good deal.

Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 11:26 AM
I'm gonna have to take a second look at them, it's possible that they may do until we can save up. Cupboards were small and the current owner had attempted to repaint them (probebly making them look worse). That's interesting about auction houses I'll have to have a look. I'm really keen to have a decent looking kitchen cos I run a small cake making business so I don't want customers put off.

Quoting babyspots17:

You can find second hand cabinets sometimes online (craigslist, freecycle type sites) sometimes or if you have a Habitat for Humanity store nearby they sometimes have good deals on used cabinets.  You should also look around for unfinished cabinets they are often much cheaper then buying finished ones and you can finish them with the look you want.  How old is the house are any of the cabinets salvageable that you may be able to refinish or get new fronts?  Keep your eyes out for Auctions too sometimes auction house will have building supply auctions with discounts on flooring, cabinets, and other building materials just make sure you do your research so you know if you are getting a good deal.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM

When we renovated our kitchen, we bought a membership to Direct Buy (it was $5K at the time for 5 years and then it's $100 annually) and we got a really good deal on cabinets, quartz countertops and I went online and found my fixtures for really good prices.  

Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM
That's really interesting, see I always assumed that they would get broken when they were taken out (shows how little I know). I'm definatly gonna look into it cos I'm really not that picky on the style as long as they will last us well and look smart. Thanks

Quoting rmp:

When we remodeled our kitchen 8 years ago the company that was doing our new cabinets insisted on taking old ones away for us as a favor. Well that made me ask why. Then I looked on craigslist and found people selling their old cabinets. My kitchen is 26x20  with a kitchen island and we had a lot of cabinets 

So I listed them on craigslist for half of what I was paying for new cabinets. We had so many emails it was not funny, I sold them for a lot of money and the person that bought them said he was getting a great deal . He could not thank me enough. They were top quality and still had all the paperwork attached to them inside the cabinet. 

Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the ideas guys was quite shocked when I found out how much a new one would cost it's only a little kitchen so hopfully we'll find a good deal x
ColieO
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 11:42 AM
2 moms liked this
My entire kitchen is estimated to cost $1000. Completely new flooring, glass mosaic backsplash 18 inches high, brand new countertops. We got secondhand cabinets for free from a family member. It's halfway done and looks beautiful. Looks like we put a lot more money into it.
Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 1:08 PM
For goodness sake some people are just idiots, I wouldn't dream of getting angry just cos I missed out on a deal. I'm also suspicious of everyone, always been like it, I'm glad you sold it yourself and made a bit too. Since I'm not working I think this is gonna be my mission to make our new home lovely for as little as possible x

Quoting rmp:

Im glad to help. 

I got real suspicious when they insisted on taking them. Yah 

My husband and kids say I am always suspicious of everything and everyone. Just comes naturally once you have kids ! lol

We wanted a more modern look and the cabinets we had were very countryish which were beautiful expensive OAK and the paperwork confirmed it. My first kitchen was country style and we loved it . We were just ready for a change. Most of my neighbors still have original cabinets and they prefer that style and say they are not getting rid of it. Once we posted the cabinets were sold . Those who did not get to purchase them sent mean comments. oh well 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)