Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you make rather than buy?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM
  • 34 Replies

I have been looking into making my own laundry detergent and soap. My friend makes her own baby food.

What types of things do you make rather than buy? How much do you save by doing this? Is it worth the effort?

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM
I make my own detergent, washing up liquid, hand soap and spray cleaner. Started because my skin is very sensitive and I couldn't find a brand that was ok on my hands but it works out I'm saving a fortune. Also make my own body scrub and have started using almond oil as a hair conditioner, moisturiser and make up remover too, not exactly make your own but it's very effective and much cheaper than beauty products, plus it's kinder in my skin x
WickedOpal
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Laundry detergent, saesoning mixes like taco and fajita, other stuff I can't think of right now.
kgbm13
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done homemade powdered laundry soap but traveling now it isn't as easy to carry a 3 gallon bucket with but was awesome with the HE washers.  I'm making nursing pads vs buying.  Was going to do diapers but daddy isn't interested specially with traveling and laundry.  I make Pnuts soap for her baths thwt are great for flea and tick repeling and natural sprays for skeeters.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I make my own anti-bacterial kitchen spray, it's 50/50 hydrgen peroxide and water, I only use it when I've had raw poultry and that sort of thing lying around. Then I make my own all purpose kitchen cleaner with a concentrated liquid I get at the dollar store.

Miss_Magnolia.
by New Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Seitan
My six year old is a vegetarian. This stuff is awesome but also expensive.
thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Feb. 24, 2015 at 4:56 AM
Peanut butter, jams, etc. I do not do home cleaning products, I have a terrible immune system and was constantly getting sick when I tried.
Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 5:12 AM
What's your recipe? I'd like to give it a try x

Quoting Miss_Magnolia.: Seitan
My six year old is a vegetarian. This stuff is awesome but also expensive.
michiganmom116
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 6:14 AM

When we still ate them, I made all of our bread products:  bread, rolls, buns, bagels, tortillas, etc.  Same with yogurt and pasta.

I make salad dressings, sauces, seasoning mixes.

I can/freeze veggies, fruits, applesauce, jams, pickles, and juices with our garden produce.

We raise our own chickens for meat.

I used to make our laundry detergent and liquid hand soap.

I used to make our own baby food.

Stacie03
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:10 PM

I can or freeze veggies and fruits, soups, broth, jams, jelly, pie fillings, pickles, applesauce, tomato sauce, spaghetti sacue, pizza sauce, etc.

Pre-made foods are rarely found in our house I make them all by scratch- baked goods, spice mixes, pizza.  

I occasionally make my own cleaners.  

I'm always trying new ways to make putty, play dough, glue, paints, etc with the kids.

I have made my own laundry soap before.

I made baby food for my older 2 kids (skipping/ed the pureed stuff with the next 2). 

purplerose60
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Perhaps it was because you weren't using pure essential oils? It's not the same as lavender or orange fragrance type stuff at all ( those are chemically made). True essential oils are used sparingly, but they have properties that can't be found in fragrance stuff, including perfumes & certain candles (sorry people, put the flash point for oils don't hold up for candle making and who has ever heard of apple pie essential oil?) - BTW, I also do jams & jellies

Quoting thefiregoddess: Peanut butter, jams, etc. I do not do home cleaning products, I have a terrible immune system and was constantly getting sick when I tried.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)