Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Necessity or Luxury: Name Brand Groceries?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

Do you buy name brand groceries or will store brand do?

Do you think certain products taste better in name brand versus store brand?

If you have any, what are your non-negotiable brand name food products?

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutasticMomx2
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM
There are a few products that just taste better name brand. OR the ingredient are heakthier. Sometimes the store brand has more junk in it. Some brand names don't have an allergen for my son so those are a necessity. Otherwise we always buy store brand.
jws120567
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM

Depends on the product, really.  I do prefer to go store brand where I can, but items like coffee, tea ,and iced tea need to be the good stuff.  Oh, and Greek yogurt, too.

Jsanchez125
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:24 AM
It's not food products I like to be brand name. For me it's the toiletries. I need my toilet paper. Tissues, my Kotex pads, my Tresseme shampoo. Those things are a must.
lyrick24
by Melissa on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM

i used to buy straight generic but i have switched to a lot of brand names now. it just tastes better. i get stuff like vegetables in off brand but my coffee, yogurt, cheese and soda have to be name brand.

diaperstodating
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:38 AM
In general it depends on what your budget and stomach can handle.
diaperstodating
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM
I like brand names of some foods and drinks, other things it doesn't matter either way if I have brand name or store brand.
Momtogirls0823
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM
Toilet paper I prefer name brand since it's softer. Name brand coffee creamer makes the coffee creamier so we buy name brand there. Most things can go either way, though.
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:44 AM

My family is not at all picky.  Food is food.  We pretty well stick to store brand (Aldi) when we buy something with a label.

2murphyboys
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Honestly? I ususally buy brand name. However I coupon and buy them when their on sale so I save a TON of money by doing it. While store brands go on sale then usually don't have coupons. So while full price that box of checks may be $4 while the store brand is only 3. If I pay attention to my sales cycles I can find that box of Chex on sale for either 2/4 or occasionally 1.49 (on a special buy so many get a dollar off the sale price) when I pair that with a coupon I'm paying between 1-1.50. Which is HALF what the store brand is. All I do is I buy a few extra. We'll stick with cereal for example. At my store they go on sale every 6 weeks. So I will buy 20 boxes. I know it sounds like alot but just think only 3 a week is 18 boxes. 

2murphyboys
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Altho I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone grab the generic brand even when the name brand is right next to it and actually CHEAPER!!! It's like some people are on auto pilot and don't pay attention lol I've pointed it out to people before and they always stop think for a sec and say "OH Thankyou" then proceed to put the generic brand back and grab the Name brand. They then say thankyou again for watching out and saving them money :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)