Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricks to making your clothes last??

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM
  • 4 Replies
My daughter is naturally very skinny. Her older pants always still fit her waist. I buy the ones that have the elastic belt on the inside. When they become too short but they still fit her I will roll them up and make them look short on purpose for the summer time. In the winter since girls wear high boots I let her wear really nice warm long socks that go up to her knees and the boots hide the fact that they are short.

What do you do to make your family's clothes last a little longer.
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I learned to do tailoring and mending.  I can remake larger clothes into smaller ones, add a contrasting fabric in places to make smaller clothes bigger/longer. 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

I wasn't sure where you were going with this.....

turn jeans inside out when you wash...it helps keep the colors.  Wash like colors with like, and get color catchers....so colors don't bleed or fade.  HANG DRY.  The dryer shrinks everything nowadays.  Buy a sweater razor to remove pills.  And a steamer rather than an iron.  It's gentler on clothes.

i also know how to mend and alter a little.  So pants can turn into shorts or skirts.  Long sleeves into short.  Dresses into skirts.  (And eventually everything into rags)

Jsanchez125
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2015 at 3:21 PM
I like your idea on turning older clothing into rags. I've never done that before. I have an aunt who has a daughter that's two years younger than my daughter. I always give her the clothes she can't wear anymore. My friend just had a baby so I'm also getting rid of my 11 month olds clothing.

Quoting chicken13:

I wasn't sure where you were going with this.....

turn jeans inside out when you wash...it helps keep the colors.  Wash like colors with like, and get color catchers....so colors don't bleed or fade.  HANG DRY.  The dryer shrinks everything nowadays.  Buy a sweater razor to remove pills.  And a steamer rather than an iron.  It's gentler on clothes.

i also know how to mend and alter a little.  So pants can turn into shorts or skirts.  Long sleeves into short.  Dresses into skirts.  (And eventually everything into rags)

AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy my son's clothes a little big so he can usually get 2 years out of them.
For my clothes I try take care of them. Treating stains, mending buttons and small holes, washing bras every 2 wears to prevent elastic wear. I also try to wear my clothes a few times. I achieve e this by wearing comfy clothes that don't matter around the house for cleaning and lounging. Another thing I do is to reassess my diet every time my jeans get tight. While that may seem like a weight thing, it's also about not buying new clothes due to weight gain. I wear roughly the same size I did 8 years ago in highschool. And yes, I still have some if the clothes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)