Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Think I might of solved the plastic smell and taste with new coffee maker for now

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM
  • 3 Replies
2 moms liked this

I was so annoyed with the coffee maker.  I wanted to just get my money back at first.  But figured I'd call Hamilton Beach after work today.  See what they say.  I talk to some guy.  He tells me they got many comlaints about that. That there tells me. They should be looking into why the product  does that. Then fix it.  Ok. What you going to do about it for me.  He says I need to put 4 oz or so of vinegar in the coffee maker.  Hit brew.  Wait 10 seconds about.  Liquid will have sucked up in the tube.  Then unplug it.   The vinegar will stay trapped in the tube.  Let it sit 15 or so minutes.  Then run it through.  Ok.  To be extra sure the inside of the tube was really flushed with vinegar. I ran straight vinegar several times through a cycle.  Did this through both the k cup side and the full pot side.  Then did both sides a bunch of times just water.  To flush out vinegar.   Then made a hot water in the k cup side.  Brew me up a green tea.  Put a tspoon of sugar in it.   Start drinking it.   It tasted just like green tea with a little sugar.  Dh is drinking a tea now.  Some Lipton Mango Peach tea.  He says his tastes fine.  So I will see how  my coffee before work in the morning is.   I did dig the box out of the garbage.  Just in case I'd have to take it back to the store.  When I talked to the guy at Hamilton Beach.  He said our products are bpa free and made with environmentally safe products and all that.   It did say that on their web site also.   I said if your suggestion does not work.  I will be contacting the BBB with a complaint.   I really hope this solved the problems I been having.  As otherwise the coffee maker does do what it says it will do. 

by on Oct. 26, 2015 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
RonaH
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Well I hope that works for you. It is super annoying to have a beverage with a funky taste. Especially when you just bought a new machine. They  need to figure out the problem.

KimmyShaw
by Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 9:50 AM

That should work, I had to do that with my Keurig too. BUT I'm pretty sure that was on the box to clean it before using.

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM

I cleaned it before I used it.  That part is standard to do. Besides the coffee maker smelled when I set it up.  Just after the first time I ran some vinegar through.  It didn't help the smell.  The box did not say to do it like the guy on the phone told me to.  Now online the complaints I read.  Said even after flushing it out with vinegar.  It was still bad. But they never said they did it like the man on the phone said to.    Some said rubbing alcohol works.  Wasn't putting that in it.   But most were saying just take the coffee maker back for a full refund.  That nothing will work.  Well  I was giving it a few days.  Before I took it back to the store. 

Quoting KimmyShaw:

That should work, I had to do that with my Keurig too. BUT I'm pretty sure that was on the box to clean it before using.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)