Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Got extra hours at work. Now trying to make it all work at home

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM
  • 11 Replies

I work food service for a college cafeteria.  My coworker Margaret the main pot washer retired today.   So I was asked to pick up her full time hours till at least end of this semester.  While they decide who gets it permanently.  Something tells me.  It will eventually go to 2 part timers.  Not a full time person.  But that most  likely won't be till the next school year starts.  I will be working 38 hours a week.  Mon-Thurs. I get 9:30-5 Fridays 7-3pm.  Yes work will be harder than I been doing. But the money will be good.  On the down side. Making it all work at home.   My dh is disabled with MS.  His mobility and coordination are not the best.  So he can't cook meals.  Then walk a plate to where he will eat it.   So I cook and bring him a plate of dinner.  During the day time is not so bad.  He has a small dorm size fridge on his computer desk.   It's kept loaded with healthy stuff to eat and drink.  So he feeds himself breakfast and or lunch.  The coffee pot is there also.  I put water in for a cup. He just plops a K Cup on.  I have 2 reuseable K Cups. So we can use regular coffee from the can or a bag. 

Now it leaves me the weekends to plan what we will eat all week.  Then catch up on housework.   I got a large crock pot and a small one.   Both will get lots of use.   Then I still got them tv dinner boxes.  I can plan some meals in them to heat up.  Just not sure with all the work.  When will I have time for myself?  I am glad I loaded my upright freezer real full.  So less big shopping trips.  Hit up the store today for some fill in items that ran out.  Then some house cleaning.   Hopefully things will go good while I work all these hours.  I don't want to be eating dinner at 8pm in the evening.

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:22 PM
Congratulations!
Good luck balancing work and home.
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Dh don't mind eating later.  Just I am his care giver also.  When he has doctor appointments and such. I go with him.   He needs me to assemble his scooter or pull out the wheel chair.  To get to the appointment.   During the day time. Dh does ok by himself.   He won't attempt to shower alone. Or do other things alone. That might land him on the floor unable to get up on his own.  He can walk from the bed to the bathroom and to the other bedroom we use as a den.  I worry about myself getting overwhelmed.  Then getting sick.  But at this point we need the money.  So I have to suck up and work these hours.  I think once I get in the swing of things.  All will be good.  It will just be a little adjustment period.

Quoting diaperstodating: Congratulations! Good luck balancing work and home.

RonaH
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:30 PM
2 moms liked this
It is a balancing act but it sounds like you have a lot of it planned. Just think of the money when your ready to call it quits for motivation. :)
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 6:50 PM

That's what I told myself last time I did this.  A couple school years back.  They fired a full time guy for stealing.  I worked his  3/4 of a school year.  I kept telling myself.  Keep working.  The pay checks will be good.   At 38 hours a week. That will be near 1000$ a pay period.  For the 18 hours I was getting.  That brought in 475$ a pay period.  This is my 8th school year at the college.  I am up to 15$ an hour.  The college does pay well.  But now they are cutting back hours if they can.  So they don't have to pay out insurance benefits to that many employees.

Quoting RonaH: It is a balancing act but it sounds like you have a lot of it planned. Just think of the money when your ready to call it quits for motivation. :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:19 PM

I understand the feelings of becoming overwhelmed, but you can do this!  Prioritize the house chores.  Obviously food and laundry come first, then worry about the actual cleaning.  If you break it up and do a little every day, there may not be so much to do on weekends.  You'll still find time for yourself!

RonaH
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM
I work at a University as well. I enjoy it for the most part. Luckily I am FT with benefits its one of the reasons I sought out the job and stay put.

Money is always a good incentive! :)

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

That's what I told myself last time I did this.  A couple school years back.  They fired a full time guy for stealing.  I worked his  3/4 of a school year.  I kept telling myself.  Keep working.  The pay checks will be good.   At 38 hours a week. That will be near 1000$ a pay period.  For the 18 hours I was getting.  That brought in 475$ a pay period.  This is my 8th school year at the college.  I am up to 15$ an hour.  The college does pay well.  But now they are cutting back hours if they can.  So they don't have to pay out insurance benefits to that many employees.

Quoting RonaH: It is a balancing act but it sounds like you have a lot of it planned. Just think of the money when your ready to call it quits for motivation. :)

pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 8:10 AM

It will all work out somehow.  Just got to make sure I make time for myself.  So I don't get overworked and get sick.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 14, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Millions of women do it every day.  My advice to avoid getting sick:  get the sleep you need, eat a very healthy diet, take vitamins if needed, and avoid unnecessary stress.  Laugh at the end of the day instead of worrying about housework and other menial duties--not saying to ignore housework, but no need to stress.

Do you have someone that can come in and check on DH during the day?  That would ease some of your worrying.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

It will all work out somehow.  Just got to make sure I make time for myself.  So I don't get overworked and get sick.

jspee10
by New Member on Mar. 15, 2016 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

you can do it- i'm a single parent and do that everyday. you just find ways to make it work.

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Mar. 15, 2016 at 11:27 PM
You can do it. Good luck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)