Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Money Talks: Save Money on Your Phone Plan Every Month

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM
  • 7 Replies

Money Talks: The Free Way to Save Money on Your Phone Plan Every Month

Unless you're lucky enough to have an unlimited data phone plan, you're probably paying an obscene amount for the luxury of mid-commute Instagram updates everyday. It's more or less a necessity at this point, but that doesn't make those "you're at 90 percent of your data usage this month" texts any less terrifying.

ADVERTISING

But here's a secret nobody ever bothered to tell you: There's an easy way to use less data. And no, you won't be limited to Wi-Fi. And no, you won't have to give up Instagram.

Instead, download a data compression app like Onovo Extend or Opera Max. These apps save you money by a) being free, and b) running in the background of your phone, compressing images (and video, if you opt for Opera), and rerouting your data through a VPN.

If you're with a pay-for-what-you-use provider, these apps can save you majorly. But even if you're on a normal network, installing Onovo for everyone in your network could be enough to drop down your plan to a cheaper one with less data. Or, at the very least, it'll save you from all the overage charges.

Neither app will change your phone experience at all, and both will allow you to get a more detailed look at which apps are sucking the most data. All wins, no concessions. What's there to lose?

by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pinkcoffeecup
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM

Me barely use any data.  I log into whatever free wi fi.  Where ever I may be.  Plenty of free wi fi connects around town. 

RonaH
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:09 PM
I have unlimited data so does my daughter but its always nice to have options in case a change is needed. Thanks for the tips.
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 3:44 PM

great info, thanks!

fairymom82
by Member on Mar. 17, 2016 at 3:19 AM
We have unlimited talk, text and web from Walmart Family Talk. Its $70 for two lines.
smokeyjo
by Jozie on Mar. 17, 2016 at 4:57 AM
We have unlimited data plans from fifteen years ago and have been well advised to not change from these plans as they are truly unlimited and cheaper than what is currently out there.
Hoos456
by Member on Mar. 17, 2016 at 5:02 AM
I was forced to switch plans when I get a new phone. I was pissed

Quoting smokeyjo: We have unlimited data plans from fifteen years ago and have been well advised to not change from these plans as they are truly unlimited and cheaper than what is currently out there.
smokeyjo
by Jozie on Mar. 17, 2016 at 5:08 AM
Every time I make a change in my plan I am adamant about not losing the unlimited data. About six years ago by son lost his phone and when on Christmas break from basic training he bought a new phone and the new guy at the phone store accidentally changed the unlimited data plan and it couldn't be changed back. My son was pissed. He's been paying for data ever since and has had to be quite careful.

Quoting Hoos456: I was forced to switch plans when I get a new phone. I was pissed

Quoting smokeyjo: We have unlimited data plans from fifteen years ago and have been well advised to not change from these plans as they are truly unlimited and cheaper than what is currently out there.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)