Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Easter dinner.....

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM
  • 53 Replies

will you be hosting?  If so, what will you serve?  Do you plan to keep it frugal (how?) or just splurge?

holding easter egg

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saqmdbsl07
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My in-laws are coming over for Easter.  We are having ham, mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls.  My mother-in-law is making another side dish and will probably bring dessert.  

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, both sets of our parents are elderly and not able to prepare a large dinner any longer.  SIL is overwhelmed with work and marital issues and I doubt she even remembers it's Easter.  Looks like I'll be hosting.  They're invited, along with our adult kids and their kids and future DIL's parents.  I don't want to spend a LOT, but I like to cook for holiday meals (and show off a bit.)  I already have the ham and some other ingredients.  I'll save more by shopping at Aldi and making every drink/dish from scratch.

So here's my meal plan (thanks to pinterest) and is still subject to change:

Drinks:  peach sangria, sparkling juice, water

Appetizers - deviled eggs, pickle tray, herbed cucumber bites, cream cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes

Entree - ham, maybe with a pineapple ginger glaze

sides - homemade creamy mac & cheese, roasted asparagus (on sale), marinated carrots, corn pudding

salads - broccoli w/bacon salad, strawberry pretzel fruit salad

bread - Hawaiian sweet rolls

Desserts - carrot cake roll, fruit tart cookies, banana pudding trifle

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM

Nice!

Quoting saqmdbsl07:

My in-laws are coming over for Easter.  We are having ham, mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls.  My mother-in-law is making another side dish and will probably bring dessert.  

mom2devin11005
by Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll also be hosting... My in-laws and sil and her family will be coming over for a huge egg hunt and easter dinner. The menu is:

Ham, hasbrown casserole, mac-n-cheese, greenbeans, rolls, strawberry jello, veggie/pickle/olive tray, and probably a small turkey because the ham I got is pretty small. Dessert is strawberry shortcake and what we call banana smoothies ( crust, creamcheese mixture, banana cream pudding, sliced banana's and coolwhip)

RonaH
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Your menu sounds yummy! I have zero plans may try and make something new.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds GOOD!

Quoting mom2devin11005:

I'll also be hosting... My in-laws and sil and her family will be coming over for a huge egg hunt and easter dinner. The menu is:

Ham, hasbrown casserole, mac-n-cheese, greenbeans, rolls, strawberry jello, veggie/pickle/olive tray, and probably a small turkey because the ham I got is pretty small. Dessert is strawberry shortcake and what we call banana smoothies ( crust, creamcheese mixture, banana cream pudding, sliced banana's and coolwhip)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 22, 2016 at 7:09 PM

I just checked out Pinterest for new ideas and went with what sounded good.  I was going to make a lemon cake roll, but DS's fiancee's brother was killed last week in a car accident and she requested a carrot cake in his memory since it's his favorite.  I suggested a cake roll instead and she agreed.

Quoting RonaH: Your menu sounds yummy! I have zero plans may try and make something new.

_Mrs.H_
by Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We usually just host my mom.  This year MIL & FIL are coming.  

I usually have...

Ham with pineapple raisin sauce
Scalloped potatoes
green beans & 
crescents
My mom and in laws offered to bring desserts.

In laws done eat ham so I offered to make a whole chicken as well.  MIL said no just have what your having.  I then get informed they are bringing their homemade sweet & sour chicken.    To say the least I am pretty annoyed but trying to not let it get to me.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm on my way!!!!  That sounds amazing.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Well, both sets of our parents are elderly and not able to prepare a large dinner any longer.  SIL is overwhelmed with work and marital issues and I doubt she even remembers it's Easter.  Looks like I'll be hosting.  They're invited, along with our adult kids and their kids and future DIL's parents.  I don't want to spend a LOT, but I like to cook for holiday meals (and show off a bit.)  I already have the ham and some other ingredients.  I'll save more by shopping at Aldi and making every drink/dish from scratch.

Appetizers - deviled eggs, pickle tray, herbed cucumber bites, cream cheese stuffed cherry tomatoes

sides - homemade creamy mac & cheese, roasted asparagus (on sale), marinated carrots, corn pudding

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Mar. 23, 2016 at 11:23 AM

you'd be very welcome!

Quoting chicken13:

I'm on my way!!!!  That sounds amazing.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)