Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any good "scores"?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:51 PM
  • 12 Replies
Anyone else save money lately for out of the ordinary purchases??
I just ordered a new phone, saved $50 on that because of a sale going on (prepaid so we paid for phones in full... I cracked the screen on mine, it's about 3? Years old and has been messing up anyway so splurged and got a new one lol) not a big savings but basically covered the cost of the protection plan!
We've been looking for a new crib and mattress. I really wanted a white convertible crib for DD, I ended up finding one WITH a mattress on sale for $120 shipped (20% off). Wasn't my first choice but that one was out of stock and also closer to $200 and I liked them both.
Dh needed a part for his truck, he told me itd be about $420 after taxes and all. I went online and ended up finding the part for $290, plus 20% off AND ships to our house, so no worrying about running around to get it on Saturday in between other stuff plus total was $256! That's almost $200 extra that can stay in the business account for other purposes.
When he called me to double check the part number and all he said "I don't doubt you found it cheaper but want to make sure it's the right thing" when he checked the info on it and checked out warranty info I could hear him bragging to his co-workers about me finding stuff for cheap, that i found the part for almost $200 less and that he usually leaves it up to me to do because of that! Lol.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RonaH
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Groupon had a $50 target card for $40. I grocery shop at target so I snagged that. Then target had spend $50 get a $10 target card so that was $20 of free food since i used the giftcard. Plus I had a $4 off 20. So I did really well. Lol
lizard3731
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
My dh and I bought a new-to-us car with only one key, which he lost. I'd put off getting another key, because the dealer wanted $200 and said it would take an hour. A friend told me a locksmith could make it for less, so I got a key made for $80 and it took 5 minutes. I miss the days where you could get a key made for a buck at Wally World!

(My dd found the lost key. And we used my ds's car for the day the key was lost, since he's in basic training).
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Mar. 24, 2016 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
$15 good condition Sperry shoes from Goodwill.
Anonomama
by Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 10:25 PM
My friend with a daughter about two years older than mine messaged me yesterday to say hers had outgrown some clothes and asked if I wanted them. It's a great start to her summer wardrobe, lots of skorts and I'll need a couple tank tops or plain t-shirts to go with them. And tons of leggings and long sleeve shirts that will be perfect for Fall. It was about 4 grocery bags stuffed full. Also a really cute sundress and a play dress up dress, so my daughter was a princess all day!
Momtogirls0823
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 2:15 PM

I went to Half Price Books and got a book I wanted for $5.  At Barnes and Noble the same book would have been $14.  My dd also got a book for $1.15!  I sold a couple books that I had finished reading.  I only got a dollar but it still was a dollar earned!  I gave it to my dd for her to use toward her book.  :)  The best part was when we were leaving and she was telling me how much better Half Price Books is since their books are so much cheaper than Barnes and Noble.  It felt like a really big parenting win!  :)

yourekidding
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:27 PM
I always forget about Groupon lol. I went on one time to look and see if they had something and how it compared to quotes I'd gotten (idr what it was exactly... Maybe having our vents and all cleaned out?) But we were outside the areas for almost all of them at the time.
Free food is always awesome! Lol

Quoting RonaH: Groupon had a $50 target card for $40. I grocery shop at target so I snagged that. Then target had spend $50 get a $10 target card so that was $20 of free food since i used the giftcard. Plus I had a $4 off 20. So I did really well. Lol
yourekidding
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:29 PM
I hate how expensive keys are! Dh has an older truck so we can get his done at Walmart but mine is a few hundred because the chip in it and haven't found anywhere to get it done cheaper :(
Worst part is the little hook for the keychain is broken so the key is just totally by itself, I had to train myself to put it in the same exact spot every time I walk in the door (but I still forget in the craziness of trying to get a newborn and 3 kids plus whatever else inside! Lol)

Quoting lizard3731: My dh and I bought a new-to-us car with only one key, which he lost. I'd put off getting another key, because the dealer wanted $200 and said it would take an hour. A friend told me a locksmith could make it for less, so I got a key made for $80 and it took 5 minutes. I miss the days where you could get a key made for a buck at Wally World!

(My dd found the lost key. And we used my ds's car for the day the key was lost, since he's in basic training).
yourekidding
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:31 PM
We only have a salvation army and they never have good shoes! Luckily my kids have tons of shoes so I rarely have to buy any (hand me downs but they usually pick a favorite and hardly wear the rest so they're almost new!)

Quoting BeachLifeMama: $15 good condition Sperry shoes from Goodwill.
MysticLove
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:32 PM
I saw the vacuum I have been wanting at Costco and saved $50 on it
yourekidding
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I LOVE hand me downs!! 95% of my boys clothes are hand me downs from each other, my brothers and cousin.
My youngest is a girl and the youngest girl in my family is 13 so no hand me downs except one box my friend in Alaska mailed me (her DD is 8 months older than mine) Shes moving home soon-ish so she's sending me one more box probably then said when she's home shell just give me all of the stuff she outgrows, and it's always SUPER cute stuff.

Quoting Anonomama: My friend with a daughter about two years older than mine messaged me yesterday to say hers had outgrown some clothes and asked if I wanted them. It's a great start to her summer wardrobe, lots of skorts and I'll need a couple tank tops or plain t-shirts to go with them. And tons of leggings and long sleeve shirts that will be perfect for Fall. It was about 4 grocery bags stuffed full. Also a really cute sundress and a play dress up dress, so my daughter was a princess all day!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)