Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Window AC Unit

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM
  • 8 Replies
This is the first year I have ever had to use a window AC instead of central air. As of now we only have one for the whole house. I'm terrified of what my electric Bill will be. Any tips?
by on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 10:58 AM

keep the filter clean

close blinds/shades in the windows that get direct sun

you can use fans to circulate the air through the house

lexi91_7
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 11:05 AM
I know this is a stupid question but am I supposed to let it run all day? On a 95 degree day it never shuts off. I feel like I'm running back forth shutting it off and turning it on...

Quoting michiganmom116:

keep the filter clean

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Does it have a thermostat?  Is it sitting in a sunny window?  Heat from the sun could make it read hotter than it should.

Quoting lexi91_7: I know this is a stupid question but am I supposed to let it run all day? On a 95 degree day it never shuts off. I feel like I'm running back forth shutting it off and turning it on...
Quoting michiganmom116:

keep the filter clean

Anonomama
by Member on Jun. 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
If it's not powerful enough for the whole house, it will run very inefficiently and possibly burn out. It's worth it to invest in at least one more and have a bedroom for the kids and your bedroom cooled at night.
For daytime, Google some of those DIY air coolers with ice and fans. I wouldn't say they are as effective as a window unit, but they will cool the room down a bit. I did one that used a frozen gallon jug of water and a 5 gallon bucket with styrofoam lining (or just use a styrofoam cooler). Allow time for the jug of water to freeze and keep room in the freezer to rotate. If anyone in your house is very handy, there are some extensive YouTube videos of coolers that actually use copper tubing attached to fans that are much more effective, but still rather cheap. I'm not so handy, lol.
laurag8707
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2016 at 11:31 AM

sounds like some great tips

thefiregoddess
by Optimus Prime on Jun. 13, 2016 at 2:25 AM
Make sure you have one appropriately sized for the room you are using it in. One unit per room. No exceptions.

I have one in every room in my house. 18kbtu in the living room. 5.5kbtu in both smaller bedrooms.
5kbtu in my bathroom, 6.5kbtu in my bedroom.
My house insulation SUCKS. even with 0 heat (and I mean literally no heat, 45 Temps in the house) my electric bill is roughly 80 a month. Window units bump that up to $140ish keeping it at 71 in three rooms 12 hours a day.
I'm outside nashville.. it's hot.

Cover your window with thermal layer aND sun blocking curtains. Put a fan in front of the ac blower, it moves the air better. Keep ceiling fans on, use power saver mode if you have one.
Keep the room it's running in closed off.
aj_mom
by Member on Jun. 13, 2016 at 3:51 PM

We only ran ours at night as it was in the bedroom.

ysmeine
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Yours runs constantly because it is not strong enough to cool the whole house. My apartment came with one in the livingroom and I added one to the livingroom. If you want to conserve electricity, then choose a room you want to cool and close it off from the rest of the house by closing doors or adding curtains to a hallway. Choose a room you want to spend most of your time in.

Since my son is always cold, we don't cool his room. Yesterday I was lazy and spent the day in my room so the livingroom one was turned off. If you are leaving for the day you can also turn it off. Other responses also had good ideas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)