• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

YMCA

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

I don't find them to be affordable like everyone claims. You pay the membership then continue paying a member  prrice for eveythihng you want to join, (such as, kid soccer) correct?

It seems like it makes more sense for us to keep paying for extra cirrcular tuition through traditional classes.

Is the YMCA cheap to you?

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MomInANutHouse
by Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 2:56 AM
My daughters membership is just over $7, and I got a discount on her regular gymnastics class. I can't remember what the cost was but with the membership and discount it was less per month than the class without being a member. We also got discounts on any extra gymnastics camps she wanted to take, or any other sport she wanted to do there. Free open gym on weekends and free use of the pool. Classes aren't necessarily cheap, but not overly expensive compared to others that we pay for. We pay $90 for 3-4 months of cheer and end up spending more buying stuff for fund raisers, and if we have to pay for hotels, food, and gas to get to compititons and most competitions cost money to watch. We pay around $200 for my son to play hockey and have to work 20hrs at the consession stand. Basically sports aren't cheap period.
AiW
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 4:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it's inexpensive, however the one by us often offers free membership to those able to volunteer a few hours a week in the childcare room. Not sure if it always an open offer, but for those who want it but can't afford, it's a nice option. Compared to other gyms in the area, the YMCA offers more for less.
caustinb
by Member on Aug. 12, 2016 at 9:01 AM
We pay $100 a month, and you're right- all of the classes are extra. So not cheap at all!
dawncs
by Member on Aug. 12, 2016 at 9:31 AM

It depends on what area of the country you are in besides what part of the county. There are two in my county at least and there is about a $60 difference between the two on one level of membership believe it or not. In the case I mentioned, both are different organizations.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author and Blogger
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
My Author Blog 
My Author Website

UCFknight
by Member on Aug. 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM
I pay $0 a month since my husband is deployed. But the family plan runs $107/month at this one. Which I cannot afford!!
BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Aug. 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM
I agree with you.
MissyB1011
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2016 at 4:16 AM
We haven't had a Y by us for decades. When they were here, they were reasonable.

There is a health center in town like what you describe. The membership is ridiculously high and you have to pay for each class.
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM
I agree with you. Dd dies danceat a studio and my apartments has an indoor pool, sauna, hot tub and gym. No need for the y.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)