Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for some great Christmas decorations and gift Ideas

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am starting to think about Christmas. I know many of you may be done with shopping and cards already. I am trying to do some gifts on the cheap but still look nice. Have lots of people that I share small gifts with but not sure what to make or buy that would be inexpensive but still look nice. I am talking maybe 10 dollars a person if possible. Made or purchased all ideas welcome.

by on Sep. 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Check out Five below in your area or online.
Other stores like Walmart, Target, Ross,Marshalls, Big Lots and some others have gifts for under $10.

Homemade gifts of food, items that are sewn or knitted are always loved.
Alieda
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:13 PM

It hard to know what do tell you without know they imnterest. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Sep. 19, 2017 at 9:38 PM

Most women like scented candles or hand lotion, maybe some homemade bath salts.  Guys like food (fudge, caramel corn, jerky, etc.).  Both sexes like nice gloves.

If you are into making baskets, you could hit up Dollar Tree for items for a pamper basket (small jar candle, bath salts, scented soap, pouf or sponge), a family basket (hot chocolate packets, popcorn, inexpensive game or movie), a breakfast basket (pancake mix, muffin mix, pancake syrup, small jar of jam, dozen eggs, fresh oranges), etc. 

MikeysMom22
by Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I do usually make fudge and cookies and/or those small quick breads. That might be nice with hot chocolate packets and maybe a mug to go with it. I kind of like the pancake or muffin mix and syrup or honey. Maybe a small size whisk to add in would look nice too.

What to add with things is what I usually have trouble with.. thanks for some ideas.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Most women like scented candles or hand lotion, maybe some homemade bath salts.  Guys like food (fudge, caramel corn, jerky, etc.).  Both sexes like nice gloves.

If you are into making baskets, you could hit up Dollar Tree for items for a pamper basket (small jar candle, bath salts, scented soap, pouf or sponge), a family basket (hot chocolate packets, popcorn, inexpensive game or movie), a breakfast basket (pancake mix, muffin mix, pancake syrup, small jar of jam, dozen eggs, fresh oranges), etc. 

MikeysMom22
by Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 11:14 PM

I have bought a few things in Ross or Marshalls for gifts. I have gone to Big Lots for some holiday items, not necessarily gifts. I guess I could take a look in a few weeks and see what they have there. I just looked it up we do have 2 5 Below stores not super close but might be worth a look to see what they have. I have never been there before. 

Quoting virginiamama71: Check out Five below in your area or online. Other stores like Walmart, Target, Ross,Marshalls, Big Lots and some others have gifts for under $10. Homemade gifts of food, items that are sewn or knitted are always loved.

BeachLifeMama
by Beachy on Oct. 1, 2017 at 12:26 PM
I keep an eye on clearance through the year. This year I got scarf & gloves, lunch Crockpot, Pioneer bowl set, and candle for the female. Football tshirt and diy beer kit for the male. Picture calendar or wine from Aldi for the couple. Small kids are getting mermaid/shark blanket that I'm either going to make it if I can't find it on sale. The teens are getting candy bouquet. Thank goodness I am closed to be done!
Iguessiwasbad13
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2017 at 1:34 PM
I get B&BW coupons and then when they give me free items I put them aside
baconbits
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2017 at 9:44 AM

This may sound cheap but go to an auction for Christmas gifts. We buy what is known as box lots many of which we pay $1 - $2. In the boxes we have gotten everything from brand new picture frames, photo albums, toys, etc.

This year I was lucky enough to convince dh's family to draw names instead of buying everyone presents. So instead of 20 gifts I have 5. One of the people is our 4 year old niece. In our auction boxes I have a brand new "Baking with Grandma" kit. It includes cookie cutters, recipe book and a place to put a picture of her and grandma. I am adding to it with a box of cookie mix and a new childs apron that I embroidered. One gift that cost $3 max but worth $20! Also in these boxes were picture frames. I plan on getting together with the children and taking several candid photos and putting them in the frames and giving it to their mom. Total price will be around $1.00....work lets me print the photos for free! Gift however is priceless as this mom loves her kids photos!

You can also get a huge box of baskets for $1 that you can fill with all the dollar tree stuff. My dd got want of the digital picture frames last year and it only cost me $3 at an auction and it was brand new in the box. Took an old thumb drive and downloaded photos that I had of her kids and even her when she was younger on it.

MikeysMom22
by Member on Oct. 2, 2017 at 9:12 PM

I do make a photo calendar for three people that enjoy getting them every year. I bought the ones last year from Oriental Trading Company. Michael's used to sell nice small calendars ( fit 3x5 or 4x6 photo) pretty cheap but they haven't the last few years. 

Maybe a few small baskets, without handles. I have to ship gifts to the east coast. I don't want to spend a ton in postage if I don't have to do that. The last few years I have bought the Kohl's Cares items they have around the holidays, usually Christmas theme story books or one was a cookbook for the kids to help mom make cookies for the holidays.

Quoting baconbits:

This may sound cheap but go to an auction for Christmas gifts. We buy what is known as box lots many of which we pay $1 - $2. In the boxes we have gotten everything from brand new picture frames, photo albums, toys, etc.

This year I was lucky enough to convince dh's family to draw names instead of buying everyone presents. So instead of 20 gifts I have 5. One of the people is our 4 year old niece. In our auction boxes I have a brand new "Baking with Grandma" kit. It includes cookie cutters, recipe book and a place to put a picture of her and grandma. I am adding to it with a box of cookie mix and a new childs apron that I embroidered. One gift that cost $3 max but worth $20! Also in these boxes were picture frames. I plan on getting together with the children and taking several candid photos and putting them in the frames and giving it to their mom. Total price will be around $1.00....work lets me print the photos for free! Gift however is priceless as this mom loves her kids photos!

You can also get a huge box of baskets for $1 that you can fill with all the dollar tree stuff. My dd got want of the digital picture frames last year and it only cost me $3 at an auction and it was brand new in the box. Took an old thumb drive and downloaded photos that I had of her kids and even her when she was younger on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)