Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Healthy eating on the cheap

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM
  • 7 Replies
What are your healthy eating tips without breaking the bank?

It seems that it's more expensive to eat heathy. I don't eat much meat or much bread anymore, so that's not a big cost issue. However, I need to eat good and get my needed calories in (pregnant).

Any good recipes you like are more than welcome too.
by on Oct. 3, 2017 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 3, 2017 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Cook from whole foods as much as possible and avoid the processed stuff, even bread, cereal and pasta.  Stick with basic ingredients.

Shop at Aldi if you have one close by.  They have a very reasonably priced organic section in most of their stores.

Load up on produce that's in season.  Other produce may be cheaper in a frozen state, so compare unit prices.  Example, fresh broccoli is still cheaper than frozen when you compare unit sizes.

I love using my electric pressure cooker and crockpot to make meals quick to fix and/or easier to prep.  Last night's meal was scalloped potatoes and ham, from scratch, total time was under 30 minutes start to finish.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this
I buy 90% of my groceries from Aldi, that alone saves a bunch.
Seashell77
by Member on Oct. 3, 2017 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I ate a lot of bananas on the run when I was prego. I remember eating lots of green vegtables too. 

For meals whole wheat or whole grain rice with beans, add veggies. Also can add tofu or meats. Stir fry dishes with veggies and protein like meat or tofu. Chili. Eating lots of salads is always a healthy and good. 

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2017 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Foods that give the most nutritional bang for the buck. Processed food seemed like the cheapest option until I started keeping a food journal and found that there was a lot of calories and sodium but less protein and fiber. Because I like easy, I buy Birdseye (or store brand) Steamfresh veggies and protein blends.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2017 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Buy what's on sale....whether that's produce or meat or cheese.  

Around here...oranges and apples are on sale....and so....that's what we have for fruit.  When chicken goes on sale, I buy chicken and our meals are chicken based.  Cheaper cuts of meat can be really really great if cooked properly.  Almost every ethnicity has a way of cooking the heck out of some crap meat to make it the base of everything delicious....

If you end up with extra grocery money, buy more of what's on sale and stash it for another week to mix things up a bit...resist the urge to buy that ONE thing that you really didn't need.

wingmom
by Member on Oct. 5, 2017 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Beans and rice is yummy and nutritious, I have a great recipe if you would like it. Super good for you and filling. Make sure you eat enough green leafy veggies, and stock up when things are on sale. I make big batches of soups and freeze them. I also love cereal as a snack, (I always check labels for additives and we are gluten free) and eggs are cheap and super nutritious and we eat tons of them.

shellybird
by Michelle on Oct. 30, 2017 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Eggs are cheap and good for you (within reason)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)