Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's a Baby Shower!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2017 at 11:01 AM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm hosting a baby shower for my DIL (grandbaby #6) and I want it to be nice yet frugal.  What are some of your best tips and ideas?

It'll be mid afternoon, so just a few foods both savory and sweet

cake or cupcake ideas

games

party favors and prizes

baby girlits a girl

by on Oct. 8, 2017 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Oct. 8, 2017 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If it helps, I'm very crafty and I'm pretty good in the kitchen.

EnlightenedMa
by on Oct. 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Oriental Trading.

They are the best for party favors, decorations, ideas, games, serveware... I LOVE OT!

Alieda
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2017 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Fist of all is the baby a boy or a girl . If it is a boy decorate the cake with trucks or other boy things , and if a girl put a doll on it etc.  For party favors make little booties and full them with nuts and candys.  The prizes on the games to you want the winner to give it to the mom to be or take it home herself.  If it the mom to be gift before the night is over how about a free couple of hours of baby nsitting so she can sleep. If it the winners how about a brag book , or a basket of papering goodies , bublle bath, lotion, foot cream etc. 

For game there is the taste the baby food contest ,  the TP Game ,  The Mum the Word game  where each person gets a diaper pin , the goal to to get as many pins from the other guest if you have the word baby from thier lips.  Birthing Baby , give each guest a cup with a ice cube in it as they arrive , the ice cube has a tiny figure of a baby in it the frist person who ice melts frist so they baby arrives wins. 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM
3 moms liked this

I've done a few baby showers....my favorite activity was having everyone decorate a plain white onesie.  You can get them in a few sizes, buy fabric markers and let them have at it.  Some people decorated them....but others wrote quotes or tips or wishes....so you could take it in any direction you wanted.

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2017 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

My niece had a baby shower and it themed around books. She's works at the library. They had Curious George, Dr Suess, etc on each of the tables.They requested that each lady bring their favorite child's book for the mom to be. They got pictures of mommy & daddy at different ages and you had to guess what age they were in the picture. I've also seen where they have everyone bring a baby/toddler picture of theirself and people had to try and match them up with who they were. Also a take on the string around the new mom can be changed to a string around dad's waist! You just need to keep him around for a few minutes!

As far as gifts they took flowers and planted them in various containers that we had given them. Tea cups, bowls, etc. These were items we'd have normally pitched from our auctioning but they looked really cute with spring flowers in them.

With a cake I'd mix it up a bit. Try not to go sterotype. I'd use all the baby colors on the cake. Maybe do rattles, diaper pins, etc.

poppys_mommy
by Member on Oct. 11, 2017 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

What's the theme?

janell27
by New Member on Oct. 11, 2017 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

cute idea

Quoting chicken13:

I've done a few baby showers....my favorite activity was having everyone decorate a plain white onesie.  You can get them in a few sizes, buy fabric markers and let them have at it.  Some people decorated them....but others wrote quotes or tips or wishes....so you could take it in any direction you wanted.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 5:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I hosted two baby showers recently, the best "game" was when we passed out a small amount of play-doh to each guest and asked them to make a baby, they were allowed to share other colors with each other, I think we gave them plenty of time, at least 10 minutes, the results were hilarious, the mom to be got to choose her favorite and that guest got a prize, and we had a 2nd place too.

A brunch shower is less expensive and you can serve mimosas which always puts everyone in a fun mood! I baked a couple of stratas and some bacon and pastries, a pretty bowl of fruit, or fruit kebobs. No dessert to worry about. A yogurt bar is cheap and easy.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I apologize, I see the shower is in the afternoon! BBQ chicken or pork sliders were a big hit at a shower I went to recently. 

MikeysMom22
Happy Black Friday All!! Advent will soon be here and the stores have us all believing the Christmas season is upon us!!! Don't get your self in a tangle!!
Today at 11:29 AM
by Member on Oct. 12, 2017 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have an Kohls stores near you??

We have one nearby and a few others not too far away. And they sell this on their website too.

Kohls Care products

There are usually books and animals that go with each book. The books are $5 each and the animals are $5 each and the money goes to  help children in need. It's a win win... Cheap but nice gift idea and helping others at the same time. Of course you can buy just the books or just the stuffed toys too.

Just an idea that came to mind when it was mentioned about working in a library.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)