Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's your favorite frugal meal?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 7:18 AM
  • 35 Replies

I can't decide between spaghetti or turkey noodle soup.

by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ysmeine
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Lentils with cactus salad, tostadas, ham and bean soup made from ham bone, dressed up ramen, stir fry vegetables with spaghetti noodles.

I won't eat spaghetti with out meat so it isn't as cheap.
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't eat pasta or rice/beans for health reasons.

My favorite frugal meals include frittatas and soups/stews.  I made a potato/ham/veggie soup a couple of days ago that was a hit.  The ham was leftover from Christmas dinner, cut from the ham bone.

Another frugal meal that I use often is roast chicken.  Use the leftovers for a casserole, then slow cook the carcass to get the final bits of meat and nutrition to make a chicken stew with homemade dumplings.  Three meals out of one bird, and I feed 6 adults.

Alieda
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess my faviote  would be chii dogs and chips. I also make a wonderful hambugar veggie soup that we love. 

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Ham and potatoe soup sounds wonderful :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

My favorite frugal meals include frittatas and soups/stews.  I made a potato/ham/veggie soup a couple of days ago that was a hit.  The ham was leftover from Christmas dinner, cut from the ham bone.

Another frugal meal that I use often is roast chicken.  Use the leftovers for a casserole, then slow cook the carcass to get the final bits of meat and nutrition to make a chicken stew with homemade dumplings.  Three meals out of one bird, and I feed 6 adults.

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

quick to fix in the electric pressure cooker, hearty, tasty, and it used up "scraps"!

Quoting Lindalou907:

Ham and potatoe soup sounds wonderful :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Food's usually not a problem for us since we can most of our food and raise our own beef. Favorite meal would have to be beef and homemade noodles.

e.sugarbaby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2017 at 9:16 PM
Eggs. Taco soup
K3412
by on Dec. 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM
I feel like basically everything we eat is a frugal meal. My favorite ones are the ones that remind me of my mom.
aryac
by New Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 1:19 PM

My healthy go-to frugal meal is a can of beans, a can of tuna, olive oil, vinegar and a sprinkle of Italian or ranch seasoning. It's really simple and doesn't sound great but it's very delicious and quick!

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Dec. 30, 2017 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Spaghetti because it involves the least work.  The runner up is bean and kielbasa casserol.  Hubs and the kid love it and it's relatively quick to throw together.  I dice onion and bell peppers and add a couple of large cans of Bushes Baked Beans along with 2-3 cut up Hillshire's Kielbassas.  Mix up and dump into a casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes.  I used to toss shredded cheddar on top but hubs complained I just put the shredded cheddar on mine when I dish it out.

I usually get several meals out of the spaghetti.  I make a pasta bake with the leftover sauce and top with mozzarella.  In fact that's what we had for dinner last night.  I typically add an extra jar of sauce to it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)