Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Best 4wd vehicle for snow? Any suggestions welcome

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2018 at 6:18 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

We will be moving to a country road this spring that literally is only paved on one end. I will need to sell my beloved wagon (yes i Loooove my wagon) for a 4wd. I am considering a subaru or a jeep cherokee, but whatever we buy will be used we dont buy new. Anyone have one they recommend for snowy country roads? Thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 31, 2018 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsniebo
by Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 7:32 PM
Every Subaru owner I've known has loved their car, even as a used vehicle. AWD is awesome for snowy roads.
virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 7:33 PM
I would buy a Subaru.
karen2112
by Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 12:44 PM

I have a Rav4 that does ok in the snow. My old Honda CRV seemed to handle it better though. Keep it mind you will probably want a higher profile vehicle for big snows (like when you get more than a foot of snow). 

smokeyjo
by Jozie on Feb. 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM
I live in a rural area and have a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4WD, that does really well in snow. In the past I had a 4WD GMC Blazer that was fabulous in the snow, even better than my Jeep. Both my parents and brother have Subarus and they do really well in the snow.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 10:41 AM

We live in the snowy sticks....the best vehicle we have EVER had for snow/sleet/crap roads is our Jeep Wrangler.

It's tall enough that it can blast over that back of the driveway plow bump, the suspension doesn't mind frost heaves and giant pot holes.  And because the wheel base is very wide...it's very sure footed.

jad1027
by Member on Feb. 2, 2018 at 10:48 PM

May I ask why you buy used?

lucy1997
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in a very remote mega snowy area and drive a Subaru.  It has never failed me!  

wingmom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

We dont like having monthly payments so we save up for cars then pay cash so have to buy used. I currently drive an 14 yr old car and love it to pieces, have had for nine years, I dont mind driving an older car. I will be slightly heartbroken when I have to sell it to move but there is no question i will need 4wd.

Quoting jad1027:

May I ask why you buy used?

michiganmom116
by on Feb. 13, 2018 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

How much snow do you think you'll have to get through?

I live in a very rural area in northern Michigan and consistently drive unpaved and paved roads with all of their mud and ice and snow in the winters.  We've had great luck with an AWD Dodge Journey, a 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4WD Ford Escape, front wheel drive Dodge Grand Caravan, AWD Audi Quattro, and front wheel drive Saturn SL sedan.  Oddly enough, the Subaru that we had was the one that kept getting stuck LOL

The key to handling winter roads is to have GOOD tires, preferably winter tread.  Front wheel drive cars with a set of winter tires on the front handle better than a 4 wheel drive with good tread on all-season tires.  Worth the investment.  We swap out the winter tires for all-season tires in the spring/fall and can make all of those tires last for 4 to 6 years.

JenniferW67
by Member on Feb. 20, 2018 at 6:53 PM

I think AWD is the way to go. We've had AWD Subaru and Ford vehicles and have zero complaints.
I went to a winter driving class put on by our highway patrol dept and they said that their best advice would be choosing the best tires you can find for winter driving conditions, not AWD or 4WD. He said most accidents in winter involve people who drive AWD and 4WD cars and are over confident because they think their cars will just handle whatever comes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)