Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you reuse jars? Plastic containers?

(This board has been so slow that I thought I’d try to perk it up)
by on Feb. 8, 2018 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 12:36 PM
Agreed.

I wish you could recycle ziplocks when they get to the bottom of the reuse hierarchy.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

yes, the reuse hirearchy!  It makes me crazy to see people go to the store and buy empty plastic containers and then throw away all the plastic containers from food packaging.  What a waste! And don't get me started on all the take-out containers tossed in offices, schools and public meetings.  I don't think most people have any idea of how much garbage they generate every day.  

Quoting chicken13: I have a whole system to reuse ziplocks. Lol

Human consumption. Canine consumption. Non food use.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

We resuse everything possible.  Plastic containers are used to freeze leftovers, soups, sauces, etc.  I rinse and dry out any zip-lock bags and resuse them for craft item storage. I save the plastic drink cups from the coffee shop and use them during warm weather for homemade ice tea and coffee. Small plastic containers can be used to start seeds and cuttings. 

The-Wave
by Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM

I reuse the plastic containers. Just in case someone comes over and I give them some food. I dont have to worry they will not give container back. They can just toss it after they use it. Sometimes my kids want to take something for lunch and they can use those containers also. If we use aluminum paper to cover a dish in the oven and it does not touch the food . I will reuse it. I have not tried washing ziploc bags yet and it is a good idea. 

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 2:38 PM

Washing the ziplock is really easy....it's the drying that gets a bit fidgety

Quoting The-Wave:

I reuse the plastic containers. Just in case someone comes over and I give them some food. I dont have to worry they will not give container back. They can just toss it after they use it. Sometimes my kids want to take something for lunch and they can use those containers also. If we use aluminum paper to cover a dish in the oven and it does not touch the food . I will reuse it. I have not tried washing ziploc bags yet and it is a good idea. 

Alieda
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2018 at 4:29 PM

Yes I reuse what ever I can 

baconbits
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2018 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

They do have another use once they have outlived it in the home. I've split them open and used them around the tops of my plants that are in planters, small flower beds, etc. Poke a few holes in them for water and cover with mulch and it keeps the weeds out. I wouldn't do this in a large area but I have a couple of smaller 3 x 3 areas that it helps keep the weeds down.

Quoting chicken13: Agreed. I wish you could recycle ziplocks when they get to the bottom of the reuse hierarchy.
Quoting MonarchMom22:

yes, the reuse hirearchy!  It makes me crazy to see people go to the store and buy empty plastic containers and then throw away all the plastic containers from food packaging.  What a waste! And don't get me started on all the take-out containers tossed in offices, schools and public meetings.  I don't think most people have any idea of how much garbage they generate every day.  

Quoting chicken13: I have a whole system to reuse ziplocks. Lol Human consumption. Canine consumption. Non food use.
Quoting MonarchMom22:

We resuse everything possible.  Plastic containers are used to freeze leftovers, soups, sauces, etc.  I rinse and dry out any zip-lock bags and resuse them for craft item storage. I save the plastic drink cups from the coffee shop and use them during warm weather for homemade ice tea and coffee. Small plastic containers can be used to start seeds and cuttings. 

jad1027
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 7:11 AM

I has no clue how much garbage a family can make.  Always lived in an apartment and just threw the garbage down the garbage shoot not giving it a second thought.  Now that we bought a house and have garbage pick up once a week, now I can see how much we do make.  Amazes me.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

Quoting chicken13: I have a whole system to reuse ziplocks. Lol Human consumption. Canine consumption. Non food use.
Quoting MonarchMom22:

wingmom
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 8:29 AM

absolutely. I reuse jars, plastic containers (some), and my favorite of all time, cereal bags! those bags the cereal comes in inside the boxes. I dump out the crumbs and  I reuse them til they are worn out then toss them. They are so sturdy, and obviously food safe, they come in very very handy for repackaging/wrapping other foods....I also will reuse the breadbags most of the time.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 8:52 AM
It’s never occurred to me to reuse those. Thx. Gonna give those a try!!!

We’ve been traveling quite a bit lately and I pack food all the time. It’d be nice to have a non ziplock alternative.

Quoting wingmom:

absolutely. I reuse jars, plastic containers (some), and my favorite of all time, cereal bags! those bags the cereal comes in inside the boxes. I dump out the crumbs and  I reuse them til they are worn out then toss them. They are so sturdy, and obviously food safe, they come in very very handy for repackaging/wrapping other foods....I also will reuse the breadbags most of the time.

RosePetalTears
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 11:21 AM
We do but not usually for food.
pattya925
by Member on Feb. 10, 2018 at 8:44 PM

Sometimes.  We live pretty minimally and I don't have much storage but I will keep small plastic containers, etc for holding leftovers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)