Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

An Interactive Puppet Show

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

People love to talk about the creativity and design that goes into some of the iPad apps, and usually they're duly deserved. There's no shortage of simply amazing, beautiful, inspired apps, which was I was so pumped to find something so beautiful, smart and creative for somethign other than the iPad--the Xbox Kinect. Yes, that Kinect, the one that you can control simply with the way you move, no physical controller necessary. A design firm called Design I/O created a sort of animated "puppet show" of birds, where you can control the birds by the way you move. (Remember when you created shadow puppets on the wall? It's like that but more extravagant and beautiful. )

Microsft keeps the Xbox ‘open' so that developers can create new ways to use it. I was drawn to this story because it's a unique way of playing with puppet shadows.

Read what Design I/O says below and then check out the short video. I like the innovation behind it, and if you appreciate the marriage of design and technology like this geek does, I think you'll appreciate what they've done, too.

From Design I/O: Puppet Parade is an interactive installation that allows children to use their arms to puppeteer larger than life creatures projected on the wall in front of them. Children can also step in to the environment and interact with the puppets directly, petting them or creating food for them to eat. This dual interactive setup allows children to perform alongside the puppets, blurring the line between the 'audience' and the puppeteers and creating an endlessly playful dialogue between the children in the space and the children puppeteering the creatures.

Enjoy!

Do you have an Xbox Kinect at home? What's your favorite game?

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:01 AM
No Xbox kinect here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM

No, we don't have an Xbox.

websorceress
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM

nope.........just a Wii

elasmimi
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:41 AM

All we have is a wii

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM

None here but sounds neat!

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM

no we dont..not yet

gmadiane
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I dont have one

Madelaine
by Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM

no xbox

KaylaMillar
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM
No x box here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM

No xbox.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)