pregnancy testJust when you thought it was 2012, a school goes and fires a woman for getting pregnant. Cathy Samford, 29, was met with an unusual response when she told Dr. Ron Taylor, the headmaster at Heritage Christian Academy in Texas, that she was expecting a child: "You're fired."

According to Taylor, Samford's pregnancy was in violation of her contract (the one with the school, not the one with God). Her deal with Heritage Christian specifically stated that she was to be a â€śChristian role model” while employed there -- and gettin' knocked up out of wedlock does not a Christian role model make. So, despite it being HIGHLY illegal and ridiculously close-minded, they canned her.

Wonder what would have happened if she got an abortion.

I understand that the Catholic Church really finds it hard to wrap their head around the concept of premarital sex -- even if it is between two people who have been in a long-term, committed relationship, like Cathy and her boyfriend. But the fact that Samford actually offered to get married -- just so she could keep her job -- makes this whole thing all the more depressing. She shouldn't feel that way. She should get married when she wants to. And be able to keep her job.

Since, technically, you really aren't supposed to fire someone for being pregnant, Samford went and got herself a lawyer. She's filing a lawsuit against the school in addition to the charge of gender and pregnancy discrimination she's already filed with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity CommissionHer lawyer stated: "It’s against the law to fire someone for them taking a pregnancy leave, and you can’t preventatively fire someone.You can’t contract around anti-discrimination laws. Just being generally religious or upholding Christian values is not enough to evoke the ministerial exception." Amen.

I have my hopes that justice will be served in this case, as it's completely insane and totally unfair. I just hope when everything is said and done, Samford decides to not go back to Heritage Christian Academy. Because they're terrible role models.

Do you think the school was right to fire Cathy Samford?