Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

U.S. Measles Cases Highest in 15 Years

Posted by   + Show Post

April 20, 2012

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released a report saying there were 222 cases of the measles in 2011, more than triple the average of 60, and the highest number since 1996. No one in the United States died from the disease in 2011, although about 164,000 people die from it around the world each year.

In 2011, there were 17 measles outbreaks. The CDC says the great majority of the cases can be traced back to travel in countries where the vaccination rate is much lower. 72 percent of the cases occurred in people who had not received the measles vaccine, or did not remember if they had been immunized.

The measles has long been considered eliminated in the U.S. due to the Measles Mump Rubella (MMR) Vaccine. However, fears over a now debunked connection to autism caused more and more parents to opt out of the vaccine. Protection comes from the vaccine itself, but also from "herd" immunity, which depends on high rates of vaccination. To quote the report, unvaccinated individuals "continue to place themselves and others in their communities at risk for measles and its complications."

Have you or your children had measles?

by on Apr. 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Replies (11-16):
kimsardo
by on Apr. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Quoting robertmommie:

Quoting kimsardo:

I had the German measles when I was a kid. I'm not sure what German measles are.  My kids haven't had the measles.

They are just different viruses that act similar, but because they are different viruses, they each get their own name.  My doctor told me that when he was looking at my pregnancy book (it's a book in Germany instead of "records"), they had tested me for the German Measles Virus but called it Measles instead of German (Deutsch Measles).  The doctor thought that was kinda funny and neat to see.

Good to know.  Do you speak German?

robertmommie
by Renee on Apr. 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kimsardo:

Quoting robertmommie:

Quoting kimsardo:

I had the German measles when I was a kid. I'm not sure what German measles are.  My kids haven't had the measles.

They are just different viruses that act similar, but because they are different viruses, they each get their own name.  My doctor told me that when he was looking at my pregnancy book (it's a book in Germany instead of "records"), they had tested me for the German Measles Virus but called it Measles instead of German (Deutsch Measles).  The doctor thought that was kinda funny and neat to see.

Good to know.  Do you speak German?

Yes I do, I learned it for traveling in Germany.  Germans don't like tourist that don't speak their language.

kanake
I'm looking forward to fall.
Today at 1:14 PM
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I had the measles as kid.. but I was 11 when I got them. I was in my twenties when I got the chicken pox. My son has never had either.

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM

No we haven't had the measles.  

mommybug77
by Crystal on May. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Wow and yes they gave been vaccinated
LadyBast
by Brenda on May. 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I had both German and just measles as a kid and I am 45/will be and I had shots..

So why not get the kids their vaccinations?? This is a stupid society we live in today!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)