Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Looking at laptops want some opinions.

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I think it's about time for a new laptop for me.

I need something faster with more RAM and that does not get as hot as my HP G60

I am looking at Acer computers because they have the most for the money it appears.

Just wondering though, when it comes to processors, does i3 or i5 make a very big difference over quadcore?

Also my computer right now has 4GB of RAM which is pretty standard, I want either 6GB or 8GB of RAM.

So I might go with an i3 with 8GB or an i5 with 6GB hoping the processor speed makes up for the difference.

Anyways, give me opinions on differnt brands etc and processors if you have them

I need something with a good battery life too.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
scifi_mom
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I have a MacBook Air. Battery lasts forever and processing and memory are fast enough for what I need without getting unbearably hot. Most of my memory is stored in the cloud through Evernote or time machine. But I guess if you do a lot of multimedia on your laptop you might need a meatier piece.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenAndLean
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM
I would love a mac but unless I go with a refurb, I can't afford one.

I don't need a huge hard drive just RAM memory

Quoting scifi_mom:

I have a MacBook Air. Battery lasts forever and processing and memory are fast enough for what I need without getting unbearably hot. Most of my memory is stored in the cloud through Evernote or time machine. But I guess if you do a lot of multimedia on your laptop you might need a meatier piece.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM

#1 would be Mac which we dont have.I have had zero problems with my HP.My Dell has been wishy-washy.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM

My girls both have Dell Inspiron 15Rs with i3 processors and 6GB RAM and I have a Dell Inspiron 15R with i7 processor and 8GB RAM. One of the i3's was mine before I upgraded for the faster processor and more memory. My father-in-law has an i5 and there's not really any difference in the i3 and the i5 or the i5 and the i7 from what I've seen, but there is a big difference between the i3 and the i7, of course. My cousin also has an HP she loves but I'm not sure of the processor or memory it has.

OH, and battery life is pretty good if you use the battery saver settings on it - dimmer screen, lower performance, etc.

ladybugmom2010
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:03 AM
From my experience with computers you have picked out some really good laptops with good specs. Do you plan to play games on your laptop games that require a good video card?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I am a big fan of the Sony Vaio

GreenAndLean
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Quoting ladybugmom2010:

From my experience with computers you have picked out some really good laptops with good specs. Do you plan to play games on your laptop games that require a good video card?

I don't play games much, but I am a HUGE multi tasker, I will have 4 or 5 browser windows open at a time with about 10 tabs open on each of those.

I keep my coupon blogs that I read up, all of my emails, my work stuff cus I work from home, facebook, slickdeals and all of the blogs I manage.

All of these HAVE to be open at one time or I go nuts. Hence why I need a faster computer that can handle the load!

ladybugmom2010
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Lol got you. I'm the same way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I like my dell inspiron

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I have a dell as well and love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)