Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Looking at laptops want some opinions.

Posted by   + Show Post

So I think it's about time for a new laptop for me.

I need something faster with more RAM and that does not get as hot as my HP G60

I am looking at Acer computers because they have the most for the money it appears.

Just wondering though, when it comes to processors, does i3 or i5 make a very big difference over quadcore?

Also my computer right now has 4GB of RAM which is pretty standard, I want either 6GB or 8GB of RAM.

So I might go with an i3 with 8GB or an i5 with 6GB hoping the processor speed makes up for the difference.

Anyways, give me opinions on differnt brands etc and processors if you have them

I need something with a good battery life too.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Replies (11-19):
Ladyisis
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Dell laptops are good. I am not sure about the rest though. Good luck and hope you find what you need.

specialwingz
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

A computer with an Intel processor will have a longer battery life than one with a Pentium processor.  With 5 Toshibas in our household, this has been proven and verified by our computer geek/guru friend.  2 are Pentium and 3 are Intel.  The Intels have twice the battery life.

If you would like to see that in writing, just shop online and look at the specifations of computers with each processor type.  You will see that the ones with Intel have a minimum of 5 hours battery life vs the ones with Pentiums, which generally have only 2-3 hours.

kerryket
by Kerry on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I would not mind one myself, I'll be watching the replies.

GreenAndLean
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM
Good info I will keep that in mind.

Quoting specialwingz:

A computer with an Intel processor will have a longer battery life than one with a Pentium processor.  With 5 Toshibas in our household, this has been proven and verified by our computer geek/guru friend.  2 are Pentium and 3 are Intel.  The Intels have twice the battery life.

If you would like to see that in writing, just shop online and look at the specifations of computers with each processor type.  You will see that the ones with Intel have a minimum of 5 hours battery life vs the ones with Pentiums, which generally have only 2-3 hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenAndLean
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I have 2 dells, but they are 6 years old one has a 30GB hard drive lol the other isn't much better I don't even think they have a full GB of ram lol

But they are still running at 6 years old so maybe its time to look at the newer ones.

Quoting Ladyisis:

Dell laptops are good. I am not sure about the rest though. Good luck and hope you find what you need.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladyisis
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Yeah the newer ones seem to have more memory and ram on them. Good luck! :)

Quoting GreenAndLean:

I have 2 dells, but they are 6 years old one has a 30GB hard drive lol the other isn't much better I don't even think they have a full GB of ram lol

But they are still running at 6 years old so maybe its time to look at the newer ones.

Quoting Ladyisis:

itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I can not really recommend one over the other since I have yet to find one I truly like and am completely happy with.

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I like the Dell laptops. :) 

kanake
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I would like to know your decision, if/when you make your purchase.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN