Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

The iPad has become the new Apple gateway drug

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM
  • 17 Replies

SlashGear is calling the iPad a gateway drug. Because the iPad has been highly successful at drawing new customers to Apple.

A new study has found that about 25 percent of buyers in the U.S. have made the iPad their first-ever Apple product.

NPD Group also released data in its “Apple Ecosystem Study” that showed that just one out of three homes own Apple products. The number is growing quickly however, and will definitely exceed the current 37 million American households thanks to the iPad.

This was true of the iPod as well, if you remember back when that was the gateway drug of Apple products. Apple must know what they’re doing. Of those that have Apple products, 67 percent still own an iPod, and 82 percent of iPod owners said the media player was their first Apple product.

“While over 70 percent of long-standing Apple owners began their relationship with the brand by way of the iPod, this number declines to just 57 percent among those entering the Apple franchise in the past two years,” the NPD Group said. “Newcomers to the brand increasingly turn to the iPhone or iPad as their first Apple device, which combined account for one-third of first-time Apple purchases since 2010.

Apple users aren’t only buying Apple products either. Out of 10 households that own Apple products, six of them also own a Windows PC, and nearly 30 percent of so-called Apple “enthusiasts” own a smartphone other than the iPhone.

Apple still has room to grow, and products that are driving their entire portfolio.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM

interesting, I am not an apple customer

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Interesting.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I don't understand how so many people have an iPad, they're so expensive! I love Apple but I bought a Dell tablet because it was actually affordable. And I'm very happy with it.

Ladyisis
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Interesting! I don't own anything apple though.

kerryket
by Kerry on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Gateway drug, lol, I remember when that was taught as MJ:)

robertmommie
by Renee on May. 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Interesting. 

BeachMommy07
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Interesting, I would love to become an apple customer (;

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on May. 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM
I have an iPad, but we had 2 Mac desktops before I got it.
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 1, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I am not an apple customer, but would love a MAC somedya.

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

interesting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)