Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

This 727 Was Deliberately Crashed In the Desert For a TV Show

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

By Andrew Liszewski

When a plane unfortunately crashes there's no shortage of photos and video of the wreckage, but rarely footage of the actual impact. So to appease our morbid curiosity of what really happens when a large airliner crashes, the Discovery Channel deliberately downed a 727 in the desert for an upcoming show.

The episode, for season two of the series appropriately titled Curiosity, will literally start out with a bang-as well as crunching, scraping, and all manner of sounds as the plane packed with crash test dummies, scientific equipment, and most importantly cameras, was crashed in Mexico's Sonoran Desert.

To ensure nothing went wrong, figuratively speaking, the 727 was brought down by an actual pilot who ejected moments before the impact. And to ensure ratings gold, the crash was also captured on the ground by countless cameras that should not only provide some spectacular footage, but will also give researchers and engineers more insight into how to design planes better suited to protecting passengers in a worst case scenario. [Los Angeles Times]

Image by Vance Jacobs/Discovery

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EbonySnow
by Desiree on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM

part of me really doesn't like that

baquick
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I can see the benefits of this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimsardo
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I think it's pretty neat.

It is also good that they are gathering  data to better design planes with.

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I think to watch this would make me a little anxious...I'll skip it.

mahalalove27
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I would love to watch this! Imagine all the research they could get from this to save lives in the future.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:39 PM

o_O

babie113
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
awesome im a aviation nut and this is cool
Ladyisis
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM

This sounds interesting and could possibly teach us some things about crashes. Thanks for sharing.

kerryket
by Kerry on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Interesting, I like that they can glean information that may help future flight accidents, and improve survival rates, but I wonder what the environmental impact cost is.

kimsardo
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Quoting kerryket:

Interesting, I like that they can glean information that may help future flight accidents, and improve survival rates, but I wonder what the environmental impact cost is.

Environmental impact, something I hadn't considered. Hmmm...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)