Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

This 727 Was Deliberately Crashed In the Desert For a TV Show

Posted by   + Show Post

By Andrew Liszewski

When a plane unfortunately crashes there's no shortage of photos and video of the wreckage, but rarely footage of the actual impact. So to appease our morbid curiosity of what really happens when a large airliner crashes, the Discovery Channel deliberately downed a 727 in the desert for an upcoming show.

The episode, for season two of the series appropriately titled Curiosity, will literally start out with a bang-as well as crunching, scraping, and all manner of sounds as the plane packed with crash test dummies, scientific equipment, and most importantly cameras, was crashed in Mexico's Sonoran Desert.

To ensure nothing went wrong, figuratively speaking, the 727 was brought down by an actual pilot who ejected moments before the impact. And to ensure ratings gold, the crash was also captured on the ground by countless cameras that should not only provide some spectacular footage, but will also give researchers and engineers more insight into how to design planes better suited to protecting passengers in a worst case scenario. [Los Angeles Times]

Image by Vance Jacobs/Discovery

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM
Replies (11-16):
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 1, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Interesting, seems awesome in a way.

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM

wow

kanake
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I don't think I could watch, but if they are using it for info,I think that's great.

websorceress
by on May. 4, 2012 at 3:38 AM

wow, I guess it's a good way to study what happens and the effects of such a thing......

onecuteladybug2
by KT on May. 7, 2012 at 5:36 AM

wow

mommybug77
by Crystal on May. 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Interesting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN