Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Chrome Users-From Lifehack

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM
  • 15 Replies

Chrome Extensionschromedownloadsstart pagenew tabspeed dialmetrouiextensions

By Alan Henry

MySites for Chrome Transforms the New Tab Page into a Metro-Inspired Speed Dialer

MySites for Chrome Transforms the New Tab Page into a Metro-Inspired Speed Dialer Chrome: If Chrome's built-in new tab page looks a little plain to you, or if you like the look of Microsoft's Metro UI, MySites is a Chrome extension that changes the new tab page into a start page decorated with a web search bar and colorful tiles that you can click to go straight to your most commonly accessed sites and favorites.

Once installed, you can set up the tiles any way you like. Just like the default new tab pages, you can have separate screens for your Chrome apps and extensions, favorites, or just frequently visited pages, and clicking the left and right arrows gives you more screens to spread out on. The sizes of the blocks relate directly to the frequency of your visits to that site, so sites you browse all the time will show up large and bright so you don't have to scan the tiles to find them.

The only down-side we found to MySites is that the search bar that's built-in to the pages uses the "MyStart" search engine, which looks like it's just an affiliate front end for Google, and there's no way to just set it to Google or any other search engine, so that's a bit of a bummer. Still, you can set your favorite engine as a tile, or just use Chrome's omnibar, so it's not that big of a deal. Have you tried MySites, or do you have another favorite tool to customize Chrome's new tab pages? Let us know in the comments below.

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM

hmmm...tfs!

bipolarmanic
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:36 PM

nice tfs

Ladyisis
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Thanks for sharing.

kerryket
by Kerry on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I'll give it a shot, thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I will pass. It looks cluttered and that would drive me nuts.

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

This is awesome~! 

kanake
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM

That looks kind of neat

robertmommie
by Renee on May. 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM

TFS

mysticalmalissa
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I love it!

kerryket
by Kerry on May. 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Have you tried it, the reviews were not so great, so I skipped adding it.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)