Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

How long could you last without the internet? Your iPad or laptop? What about your smartphone?

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

Brave Blogger Gives Up the Internet for a Whole Year--and Appears to Be Sane

Posted by Janelle Harris on May 2, 2012 

No internetIf you had to give up the internet for a day, could you do it? How about a week? A month? A whole freakin’ year? (Please note that I’m asking this hypothetically, knowing full well that I can’t even half figure out where I am or what time of day it is without hopping on Google, so I know I couldn’t do any of the above. Maybe a day, if a really good Titanic-length movie or marathon of some favorite show was on. But then I always want to learn more about something and head straight to the web, so never mind.)

Anyway, you and I don’t have to do it. The ever-so-brave Paul Miller, a technology blogger and senior editor at tech news site The Verge, officially gave up the internet for a year starting at midnight yesterday, so we can just shudder vicariously through his re-acclimation to actually having conversations on the phone (ack!) and letting his fingers do the walking (le sigh). 

What makes a man who has dedicated his career to technology take on such a challenge? "I've been on the Internet for the majority of the hours of my waking life,” he says in a video posted on The Verge. Being connected all of the time, every day, can be exhausting. You know that. I know that. And Paul over there, he definitely knows that. He’s got other goals besides being at some other person’s digital beck and call—he wants to write a sci-fi novel, for example—and the distractions of the online world are just overwhelming.

So he’s hanging up his mouse for 365 days (almost 364, Paul!) to do things in a simpler, easier way. He’ll still keep his job, don’t worry. He’ll just submit his stories via flash drive to his editor instead of, you know, emailing them. And he’ll use the age-old power of human connectivity to hunt down resources and conduct interviews for his assignments. It might be nice to have some down time from the now, now, now world of constant accessibility.

Still, better Paul than me. I have a mini-conniption if my wi-fi goes out and I can’t get rid of this blankety blank BlackBerry fast enough because its 1.5G network loads way too slow for my liking. June 22 marks the day Verizon discounts me a new phone and I’ll be there first thing smoking to trade up for a Droid, an iPhone, something, anything better than this archaic piece of Alexander Graham Bell-era machinery. Because of course, even that doesn’t move fast enough for me.

I do think I need to set some hours when I disconnect completely—not a whole year like P. Miller over there, but maybe from like 8 p.m. until the time I wake up at 6:30 a.m. I just chuckled to myself thinking that. And then red light started flashing on my phone and I instantly reached to check it. Oh dear. No Facebook? No Groupons? No funny emails from my bestie to rate Rihanna’s latest fashion victory? I can’t dot com.

How long could you last without the internet? Your iPad or laptop? What about your smartphone?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

If I just had my smartphone then  I could probably live without my laptop, but I can't live without both, lol. Although if it came down to living without internet I might be able to do it as long as I was able to have all my paperless billing switched to paper bills again.

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM

no smartphone or ipad here...it would be hard to live without my internet!

SWasson
by New Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I wouldn't be able to work without my laptop and an internet connection.

Ladyisis
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I have gone a few weeks without internet and I don't have a smartphone or iPad or tablet. Thanks for sharing.

robertmommie
by Renee on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I have gone without it before, I just adapt, even though it sucks to be without.

wendy1433
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:00 AM

I dont think i could live without my iphone or ipad but financially if i really had to i think i could if i switched all my paperless billing to paper... 

Naturaltequila
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM
I couldn't survive without my smartphone I handle so many things like paying. Bills, making appointments and yes it helps keep my appointments. I love my laptop but smartphone hands down:)
andrea96
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Not very long at all. We do almost all of our banking and bill payments online. I use the internet daily for research at work. My family calendar is online, mostly accessed via my smartphone. I also work from home over a VPN.

kimsardo
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course I could if I had to. I'd adjust.
Sunshine2plus2
by New Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Less than a week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)