Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Super moon This Sat 5-05

kanake
I'm looking forward to fall.
Yesterday at 1:14 PM
Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • 20 Replies

That's not just a full moon this week, it's a 'supermoon'

Skywatchers take note: The biggest full moon of the year is due to arrive this weekend.

The moon will officially become full Saturday at 11:35 p.m. EDT. And because this month's full moon coincides with the moon's perigee — its closest approach to Earth — it will also be the year's biggest.

The moon will swing in 221,802 miles (356,955 kilometers) from our planet, offering skywatchers a spectacular view of an extra-big, extra-bright moon, nicknamed a supermoon.

And not only does the moon's perigee coincide with the full moon this month, but this perigee will be the nearest to Earth of any this year, as the distance of the moon's close approach varies by about 3 percent, according to meteorologist Joe Rao, Space.com's skywatching columnist. This happens because the moon's orbit is not perfectly circular.

This month's full moon is due to be about 16 percent brighter than average. In contrast, later this year on Nov. 28, the full moon will coincide with apogee, the moon's farthest approach, offering a particularly small and dim full moon.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robertmommie
by Renee on May. 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Cool, I will have to check it out tonight.  TFS

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Cool, can't wait to see.

Ladyisis
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM

That is awesome! I will have to check it out! Thanks for sharing.

kerryket
by Kerry on May. 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Thanks, I know someone who will want to see the article.

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 5, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I will be outside taking pictures of it as it comes up over the ocean.. Hopefully it won't be too foggy to see it.

websorceress
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:05 AM

I will be looking for it....

johnny4ever
Hiking!
Yesterday at 10:55 AM
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:24 AM

tfs

LadyBast
by Brenda on May. 5, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Same here Vanna pic time for me also, we may go for a drive to get some good ones but I want pics :)  I am so ready, best time per our news is like 11:35 PM :)  What fun at the time but I am shooting the moon :)  I hope it is not cloudy or foggy also!

Quoting abernathyvanna:

I will be outside taking pictures of it as it comes up over the ocean.. Hopefully it won't be too foggy to see it.

kerryket
by Kerry on May. 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

My daughter has her first formal dance tonight, it's on the water, the moon should look beautiful from there:)

kanake
I'm looking forward to fall.
Yesterday at 1:14 PM
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Wow! congrats. I hope you take pics,

Quoting kerryket:

My daughter has her first formal dance tonight, it's on the water, the moon should look beautiful from there:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)