Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yahoo! Survey Reveals Tablet Habits of the Average U.S. Home

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

One need only observe the glowing LCD screens lighting up commuter trains, meeting rooms and coffee shops to see that tablets have become ubiquitous in our personal lives. 62% of all U.S. tablet owners now say they use their tablets on a daily basis with an average use of 2.4 hours per day (Viacom). But, what we don’t often see is exactly how, when and where tablets are used inside the home.

A recent Yahoo! survey reveals some interesting tablet preferences by American households, proving just how important these devices have become. For example, results uncovered that Americans are more inclined to fight over a tablet than the TV remote and a shocking 15% of us would go so far as giving up our car in order to keep our tablet (a surprising, but healthy indication for our planet!).

The 2,000 U.S. respondents participating in the study were aged between 18-64 years, and were asked questions on their tablet usage and habits, in order to uncover who’s really using them, where they take them, and just how far they’ll go to keep them. Some additional findings are outlined below:

• 15% would give up their car for an entire year to be able to keep their tablet; that would equate to 45 million fewer cars on the road, meaning less traffic and a whopping 270 million tons fewer greenhouse gases (CO2) emitted per year.
  • Tablets are now the second most fought over device in the living room, just behind desktops/laptops, and ahead of TV remotes.
  • A third of men frequently take their tablet to the bathroom. 40% of women never take the tablet to the bathroom.
  • A quarter of women are happy to give up sex (25%) to keep their tablet. As for men? Only half as many men would give up sex (13%).
  • The tablet is the go-to wind-down device: 91% use their tablet in bed.

Any of these strike a chord in your house? 

by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robertmommie
by Renee on May. 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

We don't have a tablet, but tfs.  Interesting stats.

itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 8, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I don't own a tablet so can't really answer the question.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on May. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM

not my house we don't have a tablet

kimsardo
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM
I would not give up my car
My son and I do have to share the tablet
I often have to remind my son that it doesnt go into the bathroom
I so take it to bed with me
johnny4ever
by Tracy on May. 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I use my kindle fire More than my laptop

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Interesting, but I wouldn't give up those things to hold a tablet.  I spend enough time in front of a screen and don't want to while watching tv or right before going to bed.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM

hmmmm

mommybug77
by Crystal on May. 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM
No. The tablet is mine and I don't share so nothing to fight over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Give up your car and having sex to keep a tablet... hm... some people are addicted... smh

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 11, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I don't own a tablet though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)