Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Wow, that was rougher than I thought it would be!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Early Sunday morning strong storms rolled through our area.  We live in a very small farming village which doesn't offer cable or DSL internet.  So, we use a company that places a 'paddle' on our roof, and that signal bounces off our water tower, which bounces off a silo somewhere, and eventually bounces to the ISP provider across state lines.  It's a weird system, but better than satellite and delivers speeds equal to cable/DSL.

Anyway, we kind of sit in a valley, so our paddle needed to be raised up on an 8 foot tower and attached to a dish to get internet.  No biggie.  Except during storms.

It usually goes out (much like Dish Network or DirecTV would) during storms, but the longest it has ever been out has been 1 day.

Well, it went out Sunday morning and we didn't get it back until TONIGHT.  Tuesday night.  That's three long days of no internet.  They actually had to come and raise our pole about 4 more feet and re-adjust the dish.

That was a lot harder being without internet than I thought it would be!  We only get "normal" free TV (no cable/dish) which is rather limited.  So, we typically watch only Netflix and/or HuluPlus for our TV...which was no longer available.

I needed to pay bills.  I pay all bills online.  No longer available.

I work from home full time.  I telecommute for a software company.  I ONLY work via the internet.  I missed every meeting, missed emails, etc. for two whole days.

I wanted to make dinner and needed to look up a recipe.  I typically do that on the internet.  Nope.

DH and I were planning on planning out our vacation on Sunday - nope.

I grew up before VCRs - before answering machines - before microwave ovens - before cell phones (or even cordless phones!) - before computers - I remember each time we got one of these things and moved into the "future" like it was yesterday - so it's not like I CAN'T live without internet - but I've decided I definitely don't WANT to!

So glad to be back online!!

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimsardo
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:23 PM
That is a long time to be with out Internet. Especially if you didn't plan or expect it. We certainly depend on technology for everyday living.
EbonySnow
by Desiree on May. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

glad its fixed

kanake
by on May. 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I agree with Kim, I`m sure your whole lifestyle felt strange.

robertmommie
by Renee on May. 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Congrats for the internet being back, it sounds highly useful for you!

websorceress
by on May. 10, 2012 at 2:41 AM

wow that is horrible, glad you got it back though. I hope you don't have too many more storms........

Goodwoman614
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM
Lol, I grew up the same way- a rotary phone! - learned to keyboard when it was called "typing class" and you learned on a (wait for it) typewriter!

Now I can't live w/o my iPad, lol.
And dd11 has been attending cyber school for the past 3 years.
We get powerful storms in the warmer months...I recall last summer, many tstorms & a hurricane that had us w/o electric for several days.

I can't believe it, but we survived! *shudder*
sarahjz
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

wow, it must have been like camping in the wilderness!

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 11, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Wow... Glad everything is fixed now.

onecuteladybug2
by KT on May. 14, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I hate it when mine goes out! It gets frustrating!

Ladyisis
by on May. 14, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Wow that is a long time to be without Internet, especially when you do all sorts of things on it. I am glad you finally got back on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)