Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Thousands of Leaked Twitter Passwords Mean No One's Safe - Does this freak you out?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM
  • 13 Replies

Thousands of Leaked Twitter Passwords Mean No One's Safe

Posted by Maressa Brown on May 11, 2012 

social media keys on keyboardWhen experts can't figure out how passwords to one of the most popular social media sites are getting leaked, you know online privacy is hopeless. Last week, the usernames and passwords of more than 55,000 Twitter users were leaked in a "data dump," which has even the most web-savvy befuddled.

Twitter claims that as many as 20K of the leaked accounts were just duplicates, and lots more were spam accounts that had already been suspended. So that's reassuring, right? And the site also sent out password resets to accounts that were affected, while, in the meantime, they're looking into what happened. Still ... there's speculation that the accounts' info was obtained via phishing attacks that fooled users into providing details. Drrr.

Whether or not it had to do with people being gullible and falling for phishing attacks, maybe we just have to resign ourselves to a simple fact that our online identities could be compromised at any time.

After all, if it constantly happens to celebs, why shouldn't it happen to regular people like you and me? It's bound to. By using Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest -- any extremely social, super high-profile site -- you're taking the risk that your password could be nabbed and/or leaked. Hey, and while we're at it, it's the same with email, too, right? 

But the solution isn't to throw in the towel in defeat. Of course not! I guess we just need these incidents like the recent leak to remind us to do whatever we can to protect our security. Like frequently changing our passwords. (That's precisely what Twitter has suggested to concerned users.) And being smarter about who we give info to. After all, Twitter may be all about oversharing -- but not when it comes to our most sensitive personal details.

Does this freak you out?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somethin_else
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I kind of figure we have zero privacy any more anyway.  Shoot, I bet I am captured on video somewhere 50 times a day.  I am discrete on what kinds of pictures I will post and in general do not post anything I would not want my mom to see/read.  In general  have good password practices but try and have REALLY good password practices for things like my bank account.  So no, not freaked out at all

johnny4ever
by on May. 12, 2012 at 3:01 PM

not on twitter

kerryket
by Kerry on May. 12, 2012 at 7:49 PM
I've always assumed that there was some risk with any online account.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raynezuri
by on May. 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Nope. Not at all. Not even the least bit surprised. However when your medical records get stolen out of a vehicle at night because some dumbass failed to take proper care of them, that makes me on edge.

lismore
by Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM
I don't use Twitter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM

No it doens't because I don't have a twitter account, but it makes me wonder if this typ of thing will happen on other sites.

websorceress
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I'm not concerned much about sites like that, just my cc info, and my bank..........however, personal info is an issue, it's why I sign up for some sites with a fake name, address, etc.........except for CM but even FB doesn't have my real name...........I also have a 'catch all' email address I use for some 'nosey' sites.........when I feel it's none of their business, they get fake info..........

kanake
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM

no, not really. Like Kathy said , I mainly concern myself about bank and cc info.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on May. 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM

nope doesn't affect me at all

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Not on Twitter.  But it would annoy me, if I were.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)