Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Verizon Users with unlimited data, enjoy it before its gone :/ (more news added)

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 26 Replies

Verizon’s CFO Fran Shammo spoke at the JP Morgan Media and Telecom conference this morning, providing further detail on their plans for shared or family data tiers. During his conversation, he mentioned the end of grandfathered unlimited dataa plans, but before that he talked specifically about these shared tiers. While he didn’t go into detail on how they would be priced or structured as far as data amounts go, he did say that Verizon will have no problem making money off of them in the very near future. 

Here is the quote:

We want the connections to come in and the way we’ve designed our plan, this plan is built on tiers. And as we look at the future growth of LTE consumption because of the speeds and video consumption and consumption of other end-to-end type devices, it’s going to be more important that people will start to upgrade in the tiers as they start to really realize the benefits of the LTE network.

So two things here. One is, revenue will continue to grow as we get into data shared plans and people start to connect more devices (as my pad example). And then over the future time, as they add more devices, they are going to have to buy up in tiers. So again you will see the revenue increase there.

The way we designed this, we really shouldn’t see a short term decline.

From Droid-Life

And this was said today.....via Verizon

As we have stated publicly, Verizon Wireless has been evaluating its data pricing structure for some time. Customers have told us that they want to share data, similar to how they share minutes today. We are working on plans to provide customers with that option later this year. 

We will share specific details of the plans and any related policy changes well in advance of their introduction, so customers will have time to evaluate their choices and make the best decisions for their wireless service. It is our goal and commitment to continue to provide customers with the same high value service they have come to expect from Verizon Wireless.

------------------------------------------------------

This is their plan, as it was posted in the New York Times.

• Customers will not be automatically moved to new shared data plans. If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so.
  • When we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing.
  • Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan.

The same pricing and policies will be applied to all 3G and 4GLTE smartphones.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/verizon-clarifies-shared-data-plans/

by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
laura_sims
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:21 PM

This sucks, i use about 4-6gb a month 

If they cancel unlimited data its a breach in the contract and I will go with someone else

mysticalmalissa
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I think what they are going to end up doing is dropping our grandfathered plans when our contracts are up. :/

Quoting laura_sims:

If they cancel unlimited data its a breach in the contract and I will go with someone else

johnny4ever
by Tracy on May. 17, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Ugh. I'm glad I'm renewing my 2-year contract next week.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I think what they are going to end up doing is dropping our grandfathered plans when our contracts are up. :/

Quoting laura_sims:

storkradio193
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I tend not to use that much data, but like not worrying about how much.  You would think that technology advances would keep up better with usage and provide more usage for less.  I imagine at some point the usage plans will become unlimited again, but we'll have to wait for better technology.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

mysticalmalissa
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Ive got an upgrade Ive been hanging on to since last fall, I'm waiting for my dream phone to be made. LOL 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Quoting laura_sims:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Haha I hear ya on that. I've been researching phones for the past month and still haven't decided. Too many with some of the things I want and none with all the things I want.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Ive got an upgrade Ive been hanging on to since last fall, I'm waiting for my dream phone to be made. LOL 

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Quoting laura_sims:

robertmommie
by Renee on May. 17, 2012 at 5:44 PM

wow

mysticalmalissa
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Its been boring the last couple month on verizon as far as new phones. Ive had the Droid Razr and Galaxy Nexus and sent them both back. I have the htc Rezound now and actually LOVE it!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Haha I hear ya on that. I've been researching phones for the past month and still haven't decided. Too many with some of the things I want and none with all the things I want.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Quoting laura_sims:

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

The RAZR is one of the ones I'm considering...what didn't you like about it?

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Its been boring the last couple month on verizon as far as new phones. Ive had the Droid Razr and Galaxy Nexus and sent them both back. I have the htc Rezound now and actually LOVE it!

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

Quoting laura_sims:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)