Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

How do you feel about brides/grooms changing their Facebook relationship status right after the ceremony?

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
  • 21 Replies

The Worst Possible Time to Change Your Relationship Status on Facebook

Posted by Maressa Brown on May 25, 2012 

bride on laptopIt wasn't until I spoke with photographers my fiance and I are considering hiring that I found out just how much technology is wrecking weddings these days. The lovely couple told us that even during the ceremony, they've seen guests engrossed in texting, tweeting, or, at the very least, taking in the action through their smartphone camera (as opposed to seeing and experiencing it right in front of them). But now, we have proof that it's not just guests wrecking their wedding-going experience this way. Almost half of brides are just as guilty!

According to a David's Bridal online survey, 49 percent of women polled said they did or likely would update their Facebook relationship status from "engaged" to "married" between the ceremony and the reception. Come ON. You've got to be kidding!

Making matters worse: People start hounding the couples who drag their feet with it. Ugh, give me a break!

It's one thing if you're talking about a four-day Indian wedding, but even then! Most brides go straight from their ceremony into a cocktail hour and/or photo session. Meanwhile, they're having their Maid of Honor bring them a champagne flute and their smartphone? Or an iPad? So they can make sure all of Facebook knows they tied the knot? What's next -- "You may kiss the bride ... and update your Facebook status!" (Actually, I think that is already happening. Sigh.)

More from The Stir: If a Man Live-Tweets Proposal to Girlfriend, She Shouldn't Say Yes

Don't these brides want to focus on what's going on in front of them? Furthermore, aren't at least a few people they're "sharing" with on Facebook annoyed that they're not at the wedding? They may feel resentful about the whole up-to-the-minute play-by-play. (And I've seen that happen quite a bit now. Some guests seem to feel its their job to be the social media commentators, keeping Facebook updated on the event from start to finish.)

Of course these brides are just excited that they've finally jumped the broom, taken the plunge, watched as their hubby crushed the glass and everyone yelled, "Mazel tov!" But inviting Facebook to your wedding really does nothing to enhance the moment. The people who are most important to you should be there, and if they can't be, they shouldn't have to rely on Facebook to know you're getting hitched that day.

I really admire brides who wait a day or two -- maybe even until they're back from their honeymoon! -- to change their relationship status. That's the kind of bride I plan to be. Because it proves that you're living in the moment, being present, and not inadvertently missing out on one of the most important moments of your lives.

How do you feel about brides/grooms changing their Facebook relationship status right after the ceremony?

by on May. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsallabtthem84
by ~B~ on May. 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I think they should do what they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
johnny4ever
3 weeks till school starts!
Yesterday at 7:22 AM
by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

kanake
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:15 PM

ehhh, I dont see the harm. It seems like they're happy to tell the world.

robertmommie
by Renee on May. 26, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Me too.  I didn't even think to change mine until years later.  My sister in law laughed and congratulated me for it lol.

Quoting itsallabtthem84:

kerryket
by Kerry on May. 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Whatever floats their boat, I probably would not notice.

lady-t3984
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM
I probably would change my status & name at the alter,lol. Newlyweds are so excited,they can't wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
websorceress
by on May. 27, 2012 at 2:53 AM

they should have ditched their electronics before the ceremony and enjoy their special day, not sit on damn fb or anywhere other then where they physically are LOL........

abernathyvanna
by Vanna on May. 27, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I feel that its up to them. 

kimsardo
by on May. 27, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I feel nothing about somone changing their fb status at any time in their life. Seriously? 

I was just at a wedding last summer where they exchanged vows from their iphones. They had their vows on their iphone and the read them to each other.

I don't think technology wrecking wedding at all. That statement is just rediculous. 

lillucky8
by on May. 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM
I think its a bit ridic. I think alot of ppl rely on fb waaaay too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)