Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with deleting Windows updates

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM
  • 14 Replies

Hi, I have a question for a computer person. My friend usually helps me with this and can't right now. My computer has Windows 7 in it. The E drive which is my backup drive is saying it's full and can't do anymore. I remember that we went into the system backup I thought and when windows does it's updates it never takes the old ones out so you kind of have to do it manually. Will I can't remember how to get in there now. She told me today but it doesn't look like the same thing we did before. I go into the drive and go into delete data file backups? I remember we took out all but 2 of them and it freed up space. 

I know that I also have to clean things up on the PC, but she told me this morning that this was my first step and then she said to google it. I can't find it on google. 

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LichQueen
by Anghellica on Jul. 22, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Ok this is how you get into windows updates: Start>Control Panel>Windows Updates.

To delete programs:Start>Control Panel>Programs and features

Now with your post, you kind of confused me so if you have more questions, or if i didnt go over something just reply back.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:49 AM

bump

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I would start be defragging the drive that might tidy those up

kanake
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:31 PM

wow,,I hope I don't  ever have to do this. Sounds difficult.

smile357
by Linda on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Thank you, what happened is that my E drive (back up drive) got filled up. My friend used to help me with this stuff and we had gone into it one time and erased all but 2 of the past backups. I just couldn't remember how to get in there and wanted to make sure I was in the right place. I erased all but 2 of them this time. It freed up a lot of space on the drive. 

She was suppose to install another back up drive and so far hasn't had the time to do it. I think I'm going to have to get a portable drive so I can put some of the files on them. Thank you for your post, it was extremely helpful.

Quoting LichQueen:

Ok this is how you get into windows updates: Start>Control Panel>Windows Updates.

To delete programs:Start>Control Panel>Programs and features

Now with your post, you kind of confused me so if you have more questions, or if i didnt go over something just reply back.

smile357
by Linda on Jul. 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM

It isn't that hard actually, I have spent the last 5 years learning very gradually about doing things like this. I have a best friend that unfortunately because of problems at her house we have had to put space between us, but she taught me and continues to teach me a lot.

Quoting kanake:

wow,,I hope I don't  ever have to do this. Sounds difficult.

LichQueen
by Anghellica on Jul. 22, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I dont know how big your tower is but i havent seen anymore then 2 hard drives in a normal computer so you would have to get a external HD.. another thing you can do depending on the size of the hard drives (like gigs) is replace the old hard drives for a nice terabyte one..if not bigger.

websorceress
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I suggest doing a recovery point before doing anything..........good luck!

Ladyisis
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Good luck and I hope you figured it out! :)

JKuney
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 9:37 AM

It sounds like you are trying to delete your registry files (old) or delete your old backups. I would google delete old backups or registry files and see if you find something that explains how to do what you want to do. And I agree, I would look into getting an external hard drive... we have one and it is great I love it! Good luck, hope you figure it out and keep us posted!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)