Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Buckyballs banned for severe safety concerns

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM
  • 10 Replies

The fun educational toy is apparently more dangerous than the government would prefer

Purveyors and purchasers of small, tiny, spherical magnets take note: You're dealing in forbidden goods. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a ban on the sale of Buckyballs, an "educational toy" consisting of a handful of small, tiny magnets.

The ban is the agency's first in the last 11 years, and apparently there's a solid reason behind it. If swallowed individually, Buckyballs could possibly reattach somewhere in your intestines, damaging tissue to the point where surgery would be required. According to an American Academy of Pediatrics report, there were 60 magnet ingestion cases over the last two years which resulted in 26 surgeries. At least 22 of these cases were connected with Buckyballs.

A number of retailers from Amazon.com to Urban Outfitters have agreed to stop selling the balls, but the creators of the product are digging their heels into the ground and turning the issue into an election year missive on the president. Buckyball creator Craig Zucker says he will "vigorously fight this action taken by President Obama's handpicked agency."

"As a small business owner I'm left wondering what to tell my employees and their families. How can this happen in America," grandstanded Zucker.

If you've purchased the balls in the past, the creators of Buckyballs have been directed by the government to provide refunds. Alternatively, you could just choose to keep and enjoy your Buckyballs while resisting the tempting urge to eat them — for America.

[via Geekosystem]

This article was written by Fox Van Allen and originally appeared on Tecca

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amnesialand69
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:26 AM

got to love when parents don't pay attention to their kids and ruin it for every one else. who buys these for their kids that would eat them really lol.

websorceress
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 4:58 AM

oh wow, not good for kids, that's for sure......and some adults lol

johnny4ever
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM

tfs

ForeverInLove
by Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM
I've always wanted these types of things!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Hmmmm.....people with small children should not buy them.  I really don't see how they can be banned.  Cigarettes are dangerous and they are not banned....  :/

Ladyisis
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Jul. 28, 2012 at 2:52 PM

that whole "can reattach inside you" thing is scary but seriously what kind of idiot puts them where a kid can reach

kerryket
by Kerry on Jul. 29, 2012 at 12:19 AM

You are right as far as I am concerned, if there are kids around or people who do not know better than to ingest things that are not food, you need to keep them out of reach.

Quoting sarahjz:

Hmmmm.....people with small children should not buy them.  I really don't see how they can be banned.  Cigarettes are dangerous and they are not banned....  :/

mommybug77
by Crystal on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM
Interesting
FunAuntie
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I am an adult--why are my toys taken away because someone chooses not to watch their child or buys something that has always had adults-only warnings on it--since the beginning of its marketing--and doesn't keep it out of the reach of children?!

Still buy the kids balloons, right?  How many choke every year?   I grieve for the loss of commonsense.  If someone doesn't have much, maybe they should refrain from having children 'cause the poor little ones don't have a chance.  (We owned Jarts and Clackers as children--all of us are alive and possess all our limbs.)

Going to drive an American company out of business because folks can't be bothered to read or heed!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)