Left Hander's Day
When: Always on August 13th
If you are a Leftie, Then Left Handers Day is just for you!
Left Handers, also commonly referred to as Southpaws, are the brunt of more than their share of jokes all year long. How do I know? Yup, you guessed it! It ain't easy being a leftie. But those of us who are, would have it no other way. Lefties are proud of it.
The world is built for right handers. Examples are everywhere. For example:
- In school, have you ever seen a left handed desk? They don't exist.
- Many left handed items cost more.
- Novelty coffee mugs are made with the picture or text for a right handed pick-up.
- Scissors for for right handers. Only a lefty would understand this.
- The computer mouse you are using as you read this is designed for right handers.
Did you Know? Right handed people operate in the left side of the brain. Left handed people use the right side. Therefore, only left handed people are in their right mind.
Left Hander's certainly earned the right to have a day dedicated to them. And, August 13th is that day. So take a minute to appreciate your left handed friends and loved ones. Don't forget to send them a Left Handed Day Ecard to show your respect.
Remember today and every day: "Lefties have rights!"
As lefthanders, we never do anything right....kewl!
Left Handed Facts and Trivia:
- Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.
- While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.
- Lefties are also called "southpaws". The term was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.
- Tuesdays are Lefties luck day.
- Only about 10% of the population is left handed.
- During the 1600's people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.
- International Left Hander's Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander's International.
- They say everyone was born right handed, and only the greatest overcome it. (he,he,he)
- It is believed that all polar bears are left handed. Also see Polar Bear Day.
- There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.
Think about it: Everyone is a Left Hander in Left Hand, West Virginia.
Lefthander's Slogan: "Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it". ...Brilliant Author unknown