Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

5 Ways to Have the Virtual Vacation of Your Life - Are you going away this summer? Where?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

5 Ways to Have the Virtual Vacation of Your Life

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on August 21, 2012

nicole fabian-weberYou know what's the best? Vacations! You get a well-deserved reprieve from the daily grind; you have a week or so to indulge in ways you normally don't (and not feel guilty about it); and everyone you encounter is in an awesome mood -- because they're on vacation! See? Best! But some years don't lend themselves to vacays. Sometimes, money's tight or you just moved or you just had a baby and you can't get away. And it sucks. But, hey, guess what? You can use your computer. For real. Here are five ways you can take a virtual vacation when you can do the real thing.

Use the new and improved Google Street View. Google recently has added a ton of new locations to their street view. You can now "visit" places like Antarctica, the Amazon, the ancient pyramids of Mexico, and little-traveled roads in Phuket and Bangkok. The views are truly unbelievable, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the real thing.

Use Stereomood.com. Honestly? This website was a game-changer for me. Take a leisurely, vacation-like stroll on over there and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can play music according to your mood -- and if "Beach Party" happens to be your mood, well, you're in luck.

Leave your smartphone at home. One of the greatest things about getting away is being incommunicado. The stress of feeling like you have to answer your phone and reply to text messages is absent, and it’s a good feeling. Go out to a nice, long dinner and leave yo' phone at home. You might feel “naked” at first, but once that passes, it’s glorious. You feel like a human again!

Download an app like Fotopedia. Wanted to make it to the City of Light this summer, but circumstances wouldn’t allow? Try the next best thing (sort of) -- Fotopedia. The free app allows you to browse through hundreds of gorgeous, up-close and personal photos from the most romantic city in the world -- or whatever city you want to visit.

Get off of your computer! I know it’s hard to do, but even if it’s just for a weekend, unplug. Get back to your roots, yo. Break the norm. Cook a big meal, listen to music, whip up a batch of sangria and drink it in your backyard, anything! Just don’t check your email/Facebook/Twitter while doing so. I mean, seriously, are you on your computer that much when you’re on a real vacation?

Are you going away this summer? Where? I want to live through you vicariously.

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kimsardo
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Camping, but I'm taking my electronics.

robertmommie
by Renee on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM

We wont be going any where, we already did our big trip for this year.

robertmommie
by Renee on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Good tips though.

Ladyisis
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM

No we are not going anywhere this year. Great tips and thanks for sharing.

kanake
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hoping to go to the ocean, but not cetain yet.

mysticalmalissa
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Next weekend my husband and I are going on our last mini vacation of the year. 

4 days of no one under the age of 21!

All electronics will be going with us as we do live broadcasts of "adult" entertainment. =) 

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM

No vacation this year!

onecuteladybug2
by KT on Aug. 28, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Other than a few trips to Disneyland and California Adventure, nothing extra planned for us.

websorceress
by on Aug. 28, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Nope, not going anywhere special........

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)