Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Help me get my computer booted!

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hey all,

I have several computers in my house, so this isn't a DIRE emergency, but this particular laptop DOES have some files on it that I really would like to get - and it won't boot.

Everytime I start it up it goes immediately to the boot menu asking if I want to start in "Safe mode", "Safe mode with networking", "Safe mode with command prompt", Most recent settings when it worked, and starting normally.  NONE of them will boot.  When I attempt to run in safe mode(s) it displays a log of information, but that's it.  It never gets past that.  If I try starting in last known good settings or normal start, it's just a black, blank screen.

I'm betting my hard drive is dead, but thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas to get it up and running - just long enough to transfer the files at least!  :)

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Steph
Sunday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

by Head Admin on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have your Windows CD, you could try Startup Repair. You boot from the CD and click on "Repair Computer" which then gives the option to do "Startup Repair." That might, just *might*, get it up and running for you to retrieve those files.

johnny4ever
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM

I knew mine was  fried when it did what your did

the3Rs
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:32 PM

That won't delete or overwrite everything will it?

Quoting Cafe Steph:

If you have your Windows CD, you could try Startup Repair. You boot from the CD and click on "Repair Computer" which then gives the option to do "Startup Repair." That might, just *might*, get it up and running for you to retrieve those files.

sarahjz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I don't know the answer to your last question, but hope you get it figured out!

websorceress
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Repairing it, if it's possible should not delete your info.........but if you do not want to lose something important, I'd call a tech guy in, he can save the stuff for you, in most cases..........good luck, I hope you can get what you need.........

Cafe Steph
Sunday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

by Head Admin on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

It should only repair the bad sectors so that it will boot up rather than deleting or overwriting things. Paying a tech to retrieve the data you want is your safest bet and the only way you can all but guarantee getting those files back, but it's costly in most cases.

Quoting the3Rs:

That won't delete or overwrite everything will it?

Quoting Cafe Steph:

EbonySnow
by Desiree on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM

if you just want the files you can take it to a repair shop and they can get the ones you want. when this has happened to us my DH takes the HD out and slaves it to another one long enough to get what we need but that is not something you should try if you don't know what you're doing.

robertmommie
by Renee on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Let us know how it works out.
storkradio193
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:47 PM

If a repair cd does not work, you can take the hard drive out and plug it into another computer.  You might be able to get the data off without paying someone.  Otherwise, you may have to call a tech.  You used to be able to go into DOS and retrieve files, but I'm not sure with the new operating systems.  I haven't had major hard drive issues in a number of years.

http://www.cafemom.com/home/storkradio193

crazycountrymom
by Marie on Sep. 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I hope u can recover your files. Doesn't sound like a good problem to me. A computer tech or maybe even hooking up your hard drive to another computer may be the.answer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)