Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tech Cafe Tech Cafe

Is handwriting becoming obsolete?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

Do you think schools should spend less time teaching handwriting (and/or cursive) in schools since technology use is growing? 

Do you think at some point the need to have handwriting skills will become obsolete?

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
confused969
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

That is hard to say since when filling out forms by hand you don't use cursive handwriting but rather print format.  I do know my handwriting is getting very rusty since I rarely use it except to write to my dad who refuses to have a computer.  He is not impressed with my sloppy handwriting with all the scratch outs and corrections.   

Threes.Company
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

True, but I'd guess we will get to a point when all forms are handled digitally and you wouldn't even need to print to fill them out... you know?

Though, technology has a tendency to fail, so you'd need to have back-up skills!

I still want my kids to learn both handwriting and cursive... and I want them to be strong in these skills.

Quoting confused969:

That is hard to say since when filling out forms by hand you don't use cursive handwriting but rather print format.  I do know my handwriting is getting very rusty since I rarely use it except to write to my dad who refuses to have a computer.  He is not impressed with my sloppy handwriting with all the scratch outs and corrections.   

Michelle, mom to Lucy, Henry and Charlie

MamaMandee
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I think handwriting is important but I see where you are coming from with the question. 

anotherandree
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I know that my kids very much write EVERYTHING out and are learning cursive.  However, I know that they will very soon (as they enter middle school, I would imagine) drop that for the typed essays and such.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I think they should spend MORE time on handwriting. Handwriting is curisive. Printing is just that printing.

SlightlyPerfect
Using the concept of perfection to justify a mediocre existence is like blaming another's productivity for your own personal failures
Monday at 10:29 PM
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm 31. I got my first computer when I was 5. The internet when I was 15. By the age of 21, once I graduated college, my handwriting got bad. In high school we'd write pretty much everything. It was only at that time they were upgrading to a digital card catalog at the library! By college I was typing papers, chatting online, taking tests on the computer, etc. Some essays were handwritten (I was an English major), but almost everything was typed in 1999-2003.

By the time I started teaching, I found out my handwriting was bad when I had to correct students' tests or essays!  I was like, Some model I am. I can't even write clearly anymore!

I can't imagine what it's like when you literally grow up on a computer or other mobile device.

Cursive is flying out the window. We just don't use it as a society. We have no need for it. But, like teaching kids how to read analog clocks, teaching cursive is about that important, too.

slightlyperfect

Threes.Company
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I asked only because my friend (who is also a teacher) said their school is dropped handwriting education!   She says her 4th grade students write SO SLOPPY she can barely read it half the time... and that other teachers support the drop, citing that technology is going to be replacing actual writing and that it's not worth the time and effort.  I disagree with those teachers...

Quoting MamaMandee:

I think handwriting is important but I see where you are coming from with the question. 

.Angelica.
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

i think I'd still like for my kids to know how to write.

Madelaine
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Some schools do not teach cursive anymore and there is no emphasis on good handwriting at all!

dusky_rose
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I think that there will always be a need to sign things.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)